Clock Radios

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So my wife has been asking for an iPod dock clock radio for the bedroom for quite some time now. While shopping at Target today, we picked up an iHome.

http://www.target.com/iHome-Alarm-C...e=UTF8&node=676910011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I am not happy with the unit. We went for a more expensive unit because we assumed it would be better. Even though it says it's iPhone compatible, we still get the airplane mode warning when connecting, and GSM interference still comes through loud and clear. They don't sound particularly good either, especially for $130.

These were going for $50 less, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this system:

http://www.target.com/Logitech-Pure...field-browse=676910011&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=4

We bought some Logitech speakers for her grandfather's iPod and they sounded really good, so I'm thinking about giving it a go.

If anyone knows of any particularly sweet units in the <$130 range, I'm all ears. Thanks.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I have ^ that one too and I love it. It looks better in person than in the picture. They are regularly $99 but Best Buy had them for $79 last week on sale. I love it!

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
So my wife has been asking for an iPod dock clock radio for the bedroom for quite some time now. While shopping at Target today, we picked up an iHome.

http://www.target.com/iHome-Alarm-C...e=UTF8&node=676910011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I have that same unit as you, and I originally had the exact same problems that you were having. I called iHome and they said that the early models had some problems. When they exchanged it, I no longer got any interference or accessory not compatible problems. Chances are that the unit has been sitting on Target's shelves for a while and was one of the first ones made. Try buying it at the Apple store and you will be much happier.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Dave - can you hit an Apple store? There are several in there that sounded pretty good, though I don't remember what they are off the top of my head.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Actually, I went for the one Showguy linked. I've had good success with Sony products in the past. Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Missed the boat, but Sear's had some ridiculous deals on Tivoli's. Not a true alarm clock, but definitely a full featured and good sounding radio. I use them with AirFoil to stream music and Sirius throughout my house.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, we've got stereos out the wazoo, she wanted a CLOCK radio specifically. What can I say... women.... ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Looks like those ridiculous deals I spoke of are still available. Tivoli at Sears. i love these radios. Features: AM/FM/iPod/Aux-in/Clock.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Crap, that looks quite nice.

Hey Chris, while I got ya, check your PM's :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah, we've got stereos out the wazoo, she wanted a CLOCK radio specifically. What can I say... women.... ;)
My wife picks the furniture. I'm in charge of technology. I'd say we have a pretty high-tech environment, but I still receive many complaints. You just cannot find a good in-house IT department.:p

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Actually, I went for the one Showguy linked. I've had good success with Sony products in the past. Thanks for all the suggestions, though.
I iRovr'd it - dunno if you saw it. It wasn't bad, but it depends on what you listen to....

mcmanus

Oct 30, 2008
Picked up the sony mentioned previously and it is pretty nice.... the best alarm clock iPhone dock combo i could find... its nice and small... if you're looking for someting that will be more for projecting sound then being a functional alarm clock then look into some of the bigger options...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, sorry to say that I wasn't too pleased with the Sony. The bass would bottom out (bad distortion) at even moderate volume. The iHome sounded considerably better, so the Sony is going back. You could tell just from the weight of them that the iHome has a beefier amp.

Based on what I've read, the iHome is highly-regarded sound-wise, so I guess we'll stick with it. We haven't gotten the airplane mode warning since we first tried it (must have been a fluke) and the GSM interference only happens when listening to the news station on AM radio. Worse comes to worse, we can dial it in on AOL Radio ;)

I suppose I'd have to spend considerably more to get true room-filling sound. This is an auxillary unit at best (we can crank the in-walls in the bathroom if we need volume upstairs), so the iHome should do fine.

crickbob

Jan 6, 2009
Any allow iPhone with protective sleeve?

I just got a new iPhone and wanted to get an alarm clock speaker system for it and ordered up this one -

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10287&dept_id=1007

I didn't even consider that my phone with the tight protective sleeve I purchased for it would not allow me to dock the phone unless I took it out of the sleeve. Once in the sleeve, it's a very tight fit, and a bit of a hassle to do that all the time. The sleeve I purchased was -

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...0235&q_manufacturer=Apple&q_model=prod3090241

Does anyone have any suggestions for either a better sleeve (ie: easier to remove), or an alarm clock speaker system that allows for the insertion of an iPhone without removing the sleeve?

Thanks!

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
The Logitech I posted earlier allows me to dock with my vaja case on.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I have that same unit as you, and I originally had the exact same problems that you were having. I called iHome and they said that the early models had some problems. When they exchanged it, I no longer got any interference or accessory not compatible problems. Chances are that the unit has been sitting on Target's shelves for a while and was one of the first ones made. Try buying it at the Apple store and you will be much happier.
The iHome IP99BX is listed for $129 on the iHome (and also Apple) website. However, if you click on the "out of stock" IP9BR ($99 item) on the iHome site they are offering a free upgrade to the IP99BX, including a free pair of their earbuds.

I just bought two units as birthday presents for each of my girls for their iPhone 3Gs. My wife and I have our iPhone 3Gs connected to a Bose Wave in our bedroom. We also have Bose Soundock II that we use in our beach condo.

I have been enjoying Pandora and Internet Radio... and thought the girls would like it too, as well as having a charging dock.

/Jim