Closing background apps on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad 2' started by Lorofio, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

I bought my iPad2 in April 2012. Recently I've been having problems with the Home button behaving erratically. I'm unable to double click to reveal background apps so that they can be closed. I've tried holding both buttons until the silver Apple appears but this doesn't help. Is there another way to close background apps. All help appreciated.

Sent using iCafe app

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

As I'm sure you are aware, double tapping the home button is the primary way to get to background apps to close them. If you also have screen gestures turned on you can use four or five fingers on the screen and swipe up. This will also expose the tray so you can switch to or close background apps.

3. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Gestures is on - it doesn't like swiping up - I've tried in both landscape and portrait - and - in desperation with wifi and Bluetooth off. Thanks for your quick reply.

Sent using iCafe app

4. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Not sure why. It works perfectly with mine. What iOS version are you using?

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

6. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Sent using iCafe app

7. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Yay! Recalibrating the home button worked - I managed it with contacts app open - many thanks for all your help.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

All you need to do is reboot. Rebooting daily will help keep it running optimally. It closes all the apps. They will still be in the task switcher so they are available for quickly switching between apps, but they are no longer in a running/frozen state.

It's a misconception that the steps in the video will actually calibrate the home button. All it really does is force quits apps.

9. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Thanks - will reboot regularly - hopefully it'll prevent the home button freezing again.

Sent using iCafe app

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

In the original post they said that they had done a hard reboot and it did not work.
    So it seems doing something in that video worked, or it's a fluke ;)

Sent using iCafe app

11. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Will repost if it happens again.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It was a fluke. It really doesn't do anything other than force quit apps. I used to believe it actually calibrated it until I researched it pretty extensively a year or so ago. Apple never published anything about it aside from its official function, which is force quitting apps. Still, it does seem to have a placebo effect sometimes.

13. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Yes, I recalibrated as shown in the link - it seems to have worked as I could use the Home button again, double clicked to reveal the background apps and closed them all normally. I'll get into the habit of clearing daily and re opting more often. I've a tendency to leave it on 24/7.

Sent using iCafe app

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Whatever works, right? ;)

Sent using iCafe app

15. Lorofio

Lorofio New Member

Something did the trick - not had any problems recently - thanks for your help :)

Sent using iCafe app