CMAS Alerts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kerrynyc, Nov 1, 2011.

1. kerrynyc

kerrynyc Member
    Bronze

I got four CMAS ALERT messages today, once at 6 am, another as I walked down to the subway at around 845am another at 11am and I just got another one now... Each time it was just a bubble that popped up saying "CMAS ALERT" and the only option was to dismiss it. I did some research on CMAS Alerts, because up until today I had no idea what it was for, nor did I even know of its existence. Now, I understand what it's for... emergencies, terror attacks, severe weather, FEMA, DHS etc etc... but at the same time, I am still kind of confused... I get an alert, but there is no description or anything... I asked my friends if they got any CMAS Alert texts and they all said no and looked at me like I was crazy, apparently they've never heard of CMAS either. I've had iPhone since last Feb and never had any CMAS alerts or anything... Not really sure if this was worthy of a new topic, but does anyone get vast amounts of these alerts in a one day span? And if you do, do you get more descriptions? Or just simply a bubble that pops up reading "CMAS alert?"

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

some people here got it. apparently it was a test.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. kyleplusitunes

Silver

It's a new federal law that is rolling out in major metro areas over the next 18 months or so, then eventually nationwide. I could be wrong about the time frame but I saw something on gizmodo about it a few months ago

5. kerrynyc

kerrynyc Member
    Bronze

Ahh I see I see... interesting. Well I guess they tested my device today... I'm wondering if I will get any more this evening... Just very random!

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I know that the National Broadcast system will be conducting a nationwide test on TV and Radio stations November 9th @ 2pm.
    Maybe it has something to do with that? A pre test to the major test?
    I can say I have never heard of this test your speaking of, but will look into it more.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Was thinking that earlier. Saw a commercial about it.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold