CNN App

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by fjclaus, Feb 23, 2010.

1. fjclaus

fjclaus Member
    Bronze

Just a bit of a side note. I was debating weather to get this app or not, and some of you said you didn't like it because there were ads on a paid app. I took the plunge and picked up the app, these are some things I've noticed about the app;

1. The videos do in deed work on 3G, but they do freeze a bit more often. I guess that's because the 3G connection or lack there of. They work great on WiFi.

2. I see no commercial ads on my version. The only ads I see are a small banner ad in the middle of the list of articles. This ad is a tip on how to use your CNN app better, be it the same ad all the time. I also see an ad while the video is loading with the same tip about how to use the app better. I can live with that if that's the only ads you get. Even if it's not, a couple ads here and there don't take away from the great coverage this app provides.

2. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Whether...indeed...

Either way, a paid app shouldn't have ads. Period.

3. musickelley

musickelley New Member

I have the CNN iPhone app and my only real complaint with it is the slowness. Takes a while to move between top row (Top Stories, World, US, etc.). It's also a bit slow to pull up the news items on each main page.

Other than that - I don't have any issues with it. I also have never seen an ad.

4. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

i love the cnn app. ive never had an issue with its speed and the ad banner has never bothered me. the push notifications woke me up saturday night though when the whole earthquake went down.

5. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

CNN has always been my number one source of news. The ads don't bother me either. They are very unobtrusive. I learned of the earthquake from my Quake Apps. I have a quake app that sends me push notification since I live in earthquake country.

6. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

IMO, the CNN app is simply the best! I believe anyone complaining about ads or speed is just looking for something to complain about.

7. AntonChigurh

AntonChigurh Member
    Bronze

Your push notification for CNN makes sounds? I have the sounds enabled in Settings->Notifications->CNN, but it doesn't make any sounds. The screen just lights up when they push out a story.

8. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

CNN App would be better if there were Picture Gallery of Robin Meade attached to it. She really turns me on. lol

9. Spazzza

Spazzza Member
    Bronze

I use the CNN app and get notifications about breaking news. But when I try to go to the app and get more info about the story I can't find it. Is there a way to find more info or is it just the first little bit?

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I don't have notifications on for this app but when I load it I see this screen
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1317106439.039240.jpg
    I then touch the story I want to see
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1317106473.070988.jpg
    And I can see the story by scrolling down. Some offer a video and you can click on the word video to view it.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1317106517.485358.jpg
    Hope this helps. The top of the screen where you see the words top world us you can scroll that left and right and touch those words to go to those categories.

11. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I'm glad someone asked this as it is something I always wondered as well. When I slide to go read more about an alert, I just get taken to the main page of the app and usually can't find the related article. In for an answer.

12. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

Don't use alerts as I have enough things beeping at me all the time. I use the App all the time, just open it when I feel like seeing the news and there are all the stories. This must be an alert specific problem.

13. Spazzza

Spazzza Member
    Bronze

The app itself still works fine. It's just I will receive these alerts for stories and then can't find any more info on them.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The CNN app has been mediocre at best since day one, I turned off alerts for that same reason.
    They said that was fixed on an update almost a year ago, but it hasn't.

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've not used the CNN app, I don't even think it's on the British App Store.

I use the BBC News app, it's great. Can the rest of you lot use it as well?

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I first got the app when it was 1.99, I just watch CNN religiously so it was nice to have the app on my iPhone, it just needs a good makeover that's all.

17. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I need a good makeover. I look like crap. Having the flu has aged me about 10 years.

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Still? I thought the flu only lasts 24 hours. You have the horse flu? :D
    Sorry to hear man.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've got alien man-flu. It's going round my area unfortunately. I've been ill since last Friday.

20. Spazzza

Spazzza Member
    Bronze

I'm from Australia and I just downloaded it. Do the alerts work and take you to the full article?