CNN.com forces you to their mobile site

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StealthLSU, Apr 10, 2008.

1. StealthLSU

StealthLSU New Member

is there anyway to stop sites from doing this? Google does the same thing but at least gives you a button to go to the real site.

I mean, a huge marketing tool for the iPhone was that you see the real internet, not this m.cnn.com crap.

Any help? I hate mobile sites, I want all regular sites.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd just suggest writing them. I've had similar experiences with CBS Sportsline years ago when I was using the Treo. Same thing, one year they just pushed me to the mobile site. It was super frustrating, as you usually miss out on a number of features.

3. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

Have you tried finding a "PC" button or a "Regular Site" button? I assume you have but sometimes they're really a hassle to find.

4. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot
    Gold

I think what has to happen is not on the site end, but on the phone end. I think that they need to add a feature within Safari to mimic IE.6 or another desktop browser. My PDA's have that option in the browser so when I go to sites it thinks it is a regular desktop computer and shows the full pages.

5. StealthLSU

StealthLSU New Member

That is what I hope to see sometime in the near future. I don't see the button on CNN, which I have looked for.

Hell, even google forces it on you, and they have a button to go to the normal webpage. But it does not save your information as the next time you go there, it will bring you back to the mobile page forcing you to go to 2 webpages just to go to the original page.

6. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

Safari IS the browser. Just like on a Mac. It doesn't need to mimic anything. The problem is on the web site administrators end. They programmed it so when someone looks at their webpage with the iPhone screen resolution it wants to optimize it for that. CNN purposely did this for iPhones and IMO most people hate it.

7. kdarling

kdarling New Member
    Bronze

Often this simply means that the programmar for that site has an iPhone themselves. Some people prefer a mobile site at times, for speed of download and ease of use. (I do sometimes, when I want to read news quickly. Scrolling around on a tiny screen is for people who have the time.)

For those who don't program web, here's how it works. Every browser sends a User Agent string with each request. In the case of the iPhone, it says something like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

So the web site programmar watches for "iPhone" or "Mobile". (The iPod touch sends "Touch" I think instead of "iPhone".)

As someone else mentioned, iPhone Safari needs an option to send a different User Agent. It'd be best if it could be saved on a per-bookmark basis, too.

In the meantime, you should write the site and ask that they also include a way for iPhone users to get in and keep the original format.

8. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

does that mean it is possible to create a spoof app for the iPhone to fake that string?
    im almost possitive there are things for computers that do that

9. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

That sucks! It used to be regular, now it's all stupid. I hate mobile sites. The whole reason I got the iPhone with no flash.

10. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

email the link to yourself from a desktop/laptop and click that link then bookmark it that is what I did to get around a mobile site

11. ebrunn

ebrunn Member
    Silver

yahoo was doing this as well about two months ago.

12. dsv4600

dsv4600 New Member

13. mrmacbook

mrmacbook New Member
    Bronze

my iPhone won't let me make a webclip of the CNN regular site.:mad:

14. thesaint

thesaint New Member
    Bronze

I am happy with the mobile site of CNN as it used to take looooong time to open the regular CNN.com using EDGE.

15. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

Scroll to the bottom of the site and click on "regular site". This brings you to the regular site, like on a pc

16. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot
    Gold

That is correct, however, it is the phones browser that sends the information to the website telling it that it is a mobile device, just like the PDA browser does on a Windows Mobile Device. There is a way on the Windows Mobile browser to change it so that when it accesses a site, it does not identify itself as coming from a mobile device and instead pretends to be a regular desktop computer. On the Windows devices it pretends to be Internet Explorer 6.0 so pages automatically display the page programmed by the web developer for that style of browser.
    The same is true with the iPhone version of Safari. It identifies itself to CNN as a "Mobile" Safari and CNN responds by pushing the mobile site back. If there were an add on to the iPhone Safari browser that instead allowed it to identify itself as a desktop version of Safari, CNN would automatically display the regular full size page when the page request was received. The problem is not at the web site end, they configure the mobile pages for all mobile device users and there will be some iPhone users that do not wish to view the full size page. So the option on which page type you view should be on the phone end, not the website end.

17. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

Another site that does this is aol.com. It's rather annoying and as of yet I've not found an easy way around it.

18. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

Bringing back an old thread...

Edit* this is happening with cbs sportslines website...

I was able to work around their mobile site by going directly to the specific sports links (used a search engine to do this)

Starting today it appears that its impossible to bypass the mobile site. The mobile site sucks! It's really limited and I cant get any of the stats that I want.

19. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Sports Illustrated did that for about a week. I wrote an email to them stating how unhappy I was. At least ESPN give you the option to toggle wap/regular. I told them I wouldn't visit their site any longer until they fixed it.

They actually wrote me back and apologized, stating the site had gone back to regular. That was awesome.

20. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

And just to clarify to adseguy, mobile safari has a different string than it does on a mac or even a PC. Go here to show what your browser is sending to sites:
    http://www.mensus.net/browser/info.shtml
    Shows browser type, OS, layout engine, referrer, etc...