Come on, really? Is there no one of intelligence at Apple?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I'm quoting from this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/businesss/12iPhone.html

I have to say, regarding the paragraphs that say

"The meltdown is a classic example of problems that can result from complex systems that have single points of failure. In this case, the company appeared to invite disaster by not separating its existing customers from new ones."

and

"On Friday morning, Apple executives acknowledged the problem and said the combination of original iPhone users upgrading and new iPhone 3G users trying to complete their activation swamped the company’s servers."

my response is: What the hell Apple? did no one with half a brain stop and think "hey...what if the 6 million iPhone V1 owners want firmware 2.0 bad enough that they all try to download it on friday, which is when we have to activate another million phones"

I'm not surprised at all it happened, but in a big corporation like that I don't see how no one with control over the whole thing stopped to think about how bad an idea this was, why on earth would they not put like a 1 day difference between the day the V1's got the upgrade and the day the V2 launched.

I still believe Apple makes great products, but my respect for their businesss planners is not very high at this point.

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
You stop and think maybe they wanted this? Good press bad press, its all the same and it shows the other cell companys the mass flux of people. What makes a better WOW story? 500,000 people got and iPhone or 500,00 people crashed the servers getting their iPhone! Who knows...

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
You stop and think maybe they wanted this? Good press bad press, its all the same and it shows the other cell companys the mass flux of people. What makes a better WOW story? 500,000 people got and iPhone or 500,00 people crashed the servers getting their iPhone! Who knows...
if thats true im really not impressed. That would only show them not putting their customers anywhere near their top priority.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
There's no way they wanted this kind of bad press. I believe it was nothing but Apple's flair for the dramatic. They should have offered the upgrade last Monday for first gen iPhones.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I agree with Cols V1 owners should have got the 2.0 update way before 3G release.