Coming soon: eiC 1.4

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm excited to announce that in the coming weeks, we'll be upgrading the forums to version 1.4. While the past few updates have been minor, you can expect this to be a major update.

I'll be posting a bit about upcoming features, in advance of the update. In addition to new features, it's also time to refresh the eiC design. This changes will be subtle, but noticeable tweaks to the interface. I think the current design works well, but we can do better. I've already starting working on refinements, so it shouldn't be too much longer. The design improvements should dovetail nicely with the release of XF 1.4.

Here's a preview of a improvements to replies.

Thanks for being a member here at eiC! I greatly appreciate your support of the community!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Starting today and becoming increasingly visual in the refresh, we're making changes to your 'groups', which will replace trophy status. When you view a thread, members will be assigned a group based on their post activity. Members with 30 posts, receive promotions to 'Plus'. This was always the case, but it wasn't noted on the account. Members will be noted as 'Plus', which removes any limitations, including inability to post a link.

As members post and become a part of the fabric of the community, they can scale to different user groups as outlined:

• Bronze: 30 posts or more
  • Silver: 500 posts or more
  • Gold: 1000 posts or more
  • Platinum: 10,000 posts or more
Whether you are a new user or longstanding member, when viewing a post, you'll know a bit more about the source. Before we had trophy titles, which were vague and weren't very clear as to the status of a user. These new groups should help with that.

I'm all about keeping things clean and uncluttered, but I felt like we can improve upon the information display when a user posts. In addition to groups, two key data points will be join date and likes received. I believe the combination of user group, join date and likes received should help provide a better idea as to the source of the information. For example, a new member posts about some fantastic case and their join date is yesterday, you'd likely look upon that recommendation with caution. Post counts also don't tell the entire story. Someone can post infrequently, but have made wonderful contributions since 2007. That matters.

I'm looking at other ways to highlight people who do great things here. For one, I might add some additional groups that highlight the most helpful folks. I think that's important.

You may see these titles show up in the current template and they get lost in the shuffle. In 1.4, they will be predominantly featured in banner form. You'll know from a glance who is posting.

One final point. I wanted to thank both @Europa and @Napoleon PhoneApart for their continued support as moderators. They are extremely helpful, witty and supreme spam fighters. Effective today, both are now being promoted to Senior Moderators.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What's new in 1.4.

The editor now features all-new retina icons that are super sharp at any resolution and on any device. The better the display, the better these will look. Click on this attachment to see them super-sized in their retina glory.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 3.25.00 PM.png

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
What's new in 1.4.

The editor now features all-new retina icons that are super sharp at any resolution and on any device. The better the display, the better these will look. Click on this attachment to see them super-sized in their retina glory.

View attachment 37603
I especially like this part of the site's revamping. I don't have a rMBP yet, but many people do, so it's nice to see you're taking a pro-active approach to future-proof the site.

I'm thinking 2015 will be the Year of the Retina, or maybe even late 2014!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I especially like this part of the site's revamping. I don't have a rMBP yet, but many people do, so it's nice to see you're taking a pro-active approach to future-proof the site.

I'm thinking 2015 will be the Year of the Retina, or maybe even late 2014!
Anyone with a retina display will benefit. The new design is live, featuring retina quality graphics throughout. Other improvements include a more mobile friendly menu, optimized graphics for faster loading and and more of what users want in a forum. For guests browsing from their desktop computers, ads are less intrusive. For the foreseeable future, members continue to benefit from the removal of ads. Simply put, this is a clean, uncluttered platform for iPhone discussions.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a refinement of the previous design. Every little detail was analyzed with the goal of creating the best possible user experience. As a user, I don't think one single change will stand out. The combination of all the little things should present a vast improvement over the previous design. We can always do better and I'll certainly continue to make changes where necessary.

Thanks for your continued support and contributions. Ultimately, members make the community and your patronage of the site is greatly appreciated.

This is only phase one. In the coming weeks, you can expect more improvements and new features.

If you should have any questions or comments, please feel free to post in this thread.

Enjoy!

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I for one will certainly miss the "genius" label achieved through the points I was awarded over my tenure here, but I do agree that it was a bit esoteric.
Guess I will have to rely on my t-shirt now....:D

image.jpg

Perhaps a way to let new posters know what users have a history of consistently providing technical guidance, kind of a hybrid of the "like" and "informative" buttons @ the bottom of a post....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
New today on the forums is are featured threads. These are topics which are worth highlighting, in the hopes it'll bring important information to visitors and spark further discussion. Members and guests can dismiss the featured thread at any time by selected Dismiss Featured Thread from the drop down menu.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.48.43 PM.png