Comment welcome on iPhone style website: iSchools.mobi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
Hi,

I just finished a rather large website containing of directory of over 130K public and private schools as well as universities.

www.ischools.mobi

The style template used on the site (iUI) is one that Joe Hewitt developed www.joehewitt.com and with it you can develope sites targeted specifically at the iPhone. The site sends out 3 different displays based on the browser type. Full browser, mobile (e.g. Pocket PC), and iPhone.

If you get a chance please call it up on the iPhone and let me know how usable it is for you. I don't know of any other complete websites using this style. So you comments would help guide my future iPhone site developement as well as making the subject site more usable.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Al, www.ischools.mobi and www.iteams.mobi

Hi,

I just finished a rather large website containing of directory of over 130K public and private schools as well as universities.

www.ischools.mobi

The style template used on the site (iUI) is one that Joe Hewitt developed www.joehewitt.com and with it you can develope sites targeted specifically at the iPhone. The site sends out 3 different displays based on the browser type. Full browser, mobile (e.g. Pocket PC), and iPhone.

If you get a chance please call it up on the iPhone and let me know how usable it is for you. I don't know of any other complete websites using this style. So you comments would help guide my future iPhone site developement as well as making the subject site more usable.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Al, www.ischools.mobi and www.iteams.mobi

Just poked around on the site, from my iPhone (on Edge Network) and it looks pretty spiffy! :D

Loaded quickly, displayed correctly and was pretty easy to navigate. Of course the info means nothing to me...but the site looks great!

GOOD JOB!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
This could be very useful to some people. The layout is quite nice and it runs very smoothly and the content seems good although I haven't tried many schools.

Nice Job:laugh2:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I MUST find who this alaskan is at my school

Student Population by RaceStudent# of StudentsPercentage
Black
809 36.3%
White
685 30.8%
Hispanic
253 11.4%
Asian/Pacific Islander
479 21.5%
American Indian/Alaskan Native
1 0.0%

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Let me start by saying THANK YOU for this website! I have it bookmarked. Part of my job as a deputy sheriff is being a school resource officer. I often need to know much of the information given on your site for when my sgt. asks. This loads nice and quick on EDGE. Again, thanks.

Not to be a complete dope here, but is there a tutorial somewhere that could help me put together a site like that?

In a nutshell, I have a MONSTER list of movies that I would like to catalogue and be able to search and add to.

And I'd like it to be iPhone friendly like your list. :)

Thanks..

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
Hi Woofus,

The iPhone UI has a small home page at..

www.joehewitt.com/iui/

The only change I made to it of substance is a flag that controls the page transition speed. By default the page transition works with an animation where the page sort of slides in. There is a problem though and that is if the list gets around 30 items or more the sliding transition tends to stick. The change I made was in the java script iui.js

var slideSpeed = 100.5;

If I can be of further assistance then please let me know.

Thanks for asking.

-Al

Hi Woofus,

The iPhone UI has a small home page at..

www.joehewitt.com/iui/

The only change I made to it of substance is a flag that controls the page transition speed. By default the page transition works with an animation where the page sort of slides in. There is a problem though and that is if the list gets around 30 items or more the sliding transition tends to stick. The change I made was in the java script iui.js

var slideSpeed = 100.5;

If I can be of further assistance then please let me know.

Thanks for asking.

-Al
Thanks... I was kind of hoping there was more of a straightforward "Here's how ya do it" kind of page. There might be somewhere, I'm still looking.

I guess in the interim, I can start tearing the example pages apart and see how they tick. :D

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
I think it is best to just go through the sample pages to see if you can figure out how they work.

When I started I printed off the pages (some of them I did a view source in the browser) sat down in an easy chair and studied them. It takes a while but if you use them you will need to have a good idea as to how it works. There are many other pages on the web on the subject. Just search on Joe Hewitt and iui.

-Al