Company Email through Microsoft Exchange Server

low23

Jul 13, 2007
As of now my company has everyone set up on Microsoft Exchange Server using Blackberrys. I am a little unclear how all of this works but I know that we have a Blackberry server or are set up through one somehow. At some point in time when I activate my BB I have to put in an "Enterprise Activation" code that my IT has to provide me with (I don't know if this is relevant or not). I know this topic has been talked about time after time however I haven't been able to find a good, clear, step-by-step answer on the set-up through this kind of scenario.

I have been plagued of having a BB Curve right now and I am sick and tired of not having my iPhone back. They (the company) don't want me to have an iPhone because it would be more difficult on our IT person to manage more than one type/brand of phone, which I agree to a certain point. Therefore I need to come at them with everything I have in resources that I will be self sufficient with a functioning iPhone without the need of anyone else's help.

The first step is the set-up. I had the 1st gen but not the 3G so what do I need to do to get my email set up with the 3G to have it work seemlessly? Not only what do I need to do but what steps do I need to do them in. Also, what will my IT need to do on their part as far as opeing up ports or anything else that may keep me from connecting to the server? If I need to give you guys additional information before you can answer my question please let me know and I will. This needs to be one of those things that the first time I try it it works, which doesn't usually doesn't happen with me.

Like I said please oh please help me to get to where I can do this seemlessly so that they will have no question in letting me get an iPhone on the system. WHo know's it may turn the entire company into switching over.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

In the end I believe this needs to be a sticky, I know there are many people out there having the same problem.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
With the amount of money they dumped into the BES server and licensing I doubt you'll be able to make them swap.

You have or had the 1st gen? If you are on the first model then what version are you running? above or below 2.0? With 2.0 or greater you can use Exchange Activesync which is more robust than IMAP (which is the other option).

Another question is, is anyone else using other phones like the Motorola Q? or the BlackJack? Those devices already also use ActiveSync so if they're up and running then your setup should be much simpler.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
BTW... do you already have OWA (Outlook Web Access) setup? Meaning, can you open a browser and hit your Outlook email through that?

If so you might not even need your it guy.

If you have 2.0 or greater and you do have OWA, then try this:

Create a new account by selecting the MS Exchange ActiveSync

I can't remember the order but you'll need to input your email... your server name (which will be the OWA address minus the "http://" and "/exchange".

Then username and password.

Try it and it will probably fail. Save the account and get back into it and try disabling SSL.

Open the account and see if it starts filling in.

low23

Jul 13, 2007
With the amount of money they dumped into the BES server and licensing I doubt you'll be able to make them swap.

You have or had the 1st gen? If you are on the first model then what version are you running? above or below 2.0? With 2.0 or greater you can use Exchange Activesync which is more robust than IMAP (which is the other option).

Another question is, is anyone else using other phones like the Motorola Q? or the BlackJack? Those devices already also use ActiveSync so if they're up and running then your setup should be much simpler.
I don't have the 1st gen anymore, I gave it to my wife which got stolen. I will probably purchase a 3G when the time comes. No one else has anything but Curve's and a Bold and a couple of Storm's. All BB POS.

low23

Jul 13, 2007
BTW... do you already have OWA (Outlook Web Access) setup? Meaning, can you open a browser and hit your Outlook email through that?

I can't remember the order but you'll need to input your email... your server name (which will be the OWA address minus the "http://" and "/exchange".

Try it and it will probably fail. Save the account and get back into it and try disabling SSL.

We Do have web outlook access. If I set it up that way will it be connected in real time and send me email's automatically when they are sent? This is a must for work. It must work just as good as the BB would.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
You will receive mail, calendar events and contacts real time. BB Enterprise Server has a leg up in other departments though. With Enterprise you'll be able to work with more attachments and other items such as CRM (if your company uses it).

low23

Jul 13, 2007
I'm not for sure what CRM is but if I don't know then I probably doesn't matter. Just as long as everything else that you mentioned happens in real time then I'm good to go. I will discuss with the IT person about this and see what she has to say. Let's just say this doesn't work then what.

low23

Jul 13, 2007

Ok, well I tried everything you suggested on my wife's 3G and it didn't work. What does that mean? What is the next step?

Here is the info I entered in:
email-nickmorris@vanguard1.com
domain-harper
username-nickmorris
server-exchange.vanguard1.com

The second time I tried it I didn't put the domain in and a message popped up and said "unable to verify certificate: While automatically discovering account settings, the certificate from "vanguard1.com" could not be verified." It still didn't work. I also tried it with my Wife's email exchange server that she has through the school she teaches at and her's didn't work either. Am I doing something wrong. I tried disabling SSL too.

Again thanks so much for putting the time in for me.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Couple of things you need to check because the connection can be finicky.

Make sure when you create the account that you're using Microsoft Exchange and not IMAP

When you input the server name it will be in a specific format. If your OWA access is http://random.server.com/exchange then you would input for your server random.server.com

Go back into the account and try it with SSL on and off. Meaning turn it on. Exit and open up the email account. Give it time to replicate. If it still doesn't come up then try it with SSL on. Repeat process. Be patient with it.

Under domain, just leave that blank.

If OWA is working then I'm fairly certain that no other ports need to be opened for ActiveSync to work.

One other thing it could be is in Active Directory (your company's server) each user can be disabled for phone connectivity. But this has to be manually done and unless the admin purposely did this I don't think it has been deactivated.

Let us know if you're getting any specific error messages.

low23

Jul 13, 2007
THANKS!

Both mine and my wife's works. The key to remember that I didn't know is how to type in the server part. I was putting in "exchange" instead of the actuall web address of the outlook web access. For those who don't know, like me, if your web address to get to your email through outlook web acces is http://webmail.harper1.com/exchange/etc... then for the server portion you will actually put "webmail.harper1.com" and that should work. Kudos again to the seasoned veteran PapaST for solving my issues. Hopefully this will be enought to persuade my IT and CEO to alow me to have an iPhone, man I hope!

Again thanks PapaST.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Glad we could get you all fixed up.

torquet

Apr 6, 2009
what if you have to put https://mail.companyname.com? I have tried every combo I can think of for the last 3 or 4 days. I also have looked at every post about this of the forum. I used to have the motoQ and had email access.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Have you tried enabling SSL? What you might have to do is browse to that address in Safari. It will prompt you about the certificate and you should be able to choose INSTALL Certificate. After you do that power cycle your phone and pull up the account and see if the mail starts coming in.

torquet

Apr 6, 2009
Yeah I tried enabling SSL. When I go to the website it says Java is not enabled. I need to install JRE 1.5 or higher. I guess this is my problem?

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
When inputting the server on your iPhone are you putting mail.companyname.com? Or https://mail.companyname.com? It should be the first option.

I hadn't seen that message about the JRE 1.5. I'll have to check on that.

torquet

Apr 6, 2009
I am putting mail.companyname.com.

Thanks for looking into this.

Circpro

May 21, 2009
Atlanta, Ga
my problem is, everything shows verified ( i even see the iPhone listed in my mobile devices when i login into OWA in safari or Firefox)..... but 2 things happen from there:

1. a pop-up comes up and says incorrect password (yep its correct)
2. when attempting to sync my inbox i get a server connection error...

When looking at the iPhone folders I can see all my OWA folders but nothing is sync'ing...

ideas?

amandainma

May 22, 2009
I feel like I have tried all of your options and it still won't work on my end. I used to have my blackberry connected - did it myself, but blackberry automatically detected the settings. Now with the iPhone 3g, when I go in and enter my server random.server.com, user name and password it won't connect. (I have tried with and without domain) I have gone in and saved, turned ssl on and off and went to try to check messages, I get the error "Cannot Get Mail The connection to the server failed." I am so frustrated! I tried so many times a few weeks ago that I must have looked suspicious and they shut me out of my email :)

Any other thoughts?