Comparisons to competitors' phones

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Have you found an article comparing the iPhone 6s to its competition? Share it here.

Redmond Pie tells us that the "iPhone 6s Plus With 2GB RAM Smokes the Galaxy Note 5 With 4GB RAM in a Real-World Speed Test."

Link to article (includes a video).

#1 Rafagon, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The extra RAM in my 6s Plus is one of the biggest improvements I see in my phone. I love it.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yes everything is much better now with the 2GB of RAM. I don't know yet if I like force touch. The added RAM and force touch were the 2 deciding factors for me to upgrade.

I love force touch on my Macbook and use it all the time but it feels like a gimmick (for now at least) on the iPhone.. I don't really see a use case for it on the phone the way it's currently implemented. I'll play with it more and will withhold final judgement on it until I've had more play / usage time with it..

4. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I was fine with only 1GB on all my previous iPhones. They ran smooth and efficiently; no lag or freezes. This upgrade to 2GB makes sense to me, but honestly I'm not seeing a big increase in performance. Unless you want to say the fingerprint reader unlocks my 6s Plus faster. Maybe I'm the exception, but when everyone was lambasting Apple for only using 1GB I didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. I expect a big part of that hoopla was from folks addicted to stats and not real world performance.

5. jafundy

jafundy Member
    Bronze

only thing I prefer on competitors phones are the capability of an auto signature on text messages. Haven't found a way to do that on iPhone.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Being addicted to stats really has nothing to do with real word multi-taking ability and speed.. The additional RAM will make a HUGE difference as far as multi-taking is concerned.. Apps opening faster? Meh, I see no difference whatsoever. I'm not even sure if the phone unlocks faster with the 6s as I never thought was slow to start with..

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

My iPhone 6s Plus is faster and handles multitasking better than my Note 5. However, the camera on my Note 5 seems to produce more crisp images. Apple's noise reduction is way too aggressive that causes watercolor effect and is really noticeable on blurred backgrounds when you zoom in. The 4K video recording quality looks the same on both but I prefer capturing 4K video on my iPhone 6s Plus because I can use iMovie to stitch, edit, etc and upload the final 4K video to YouTube in full 4K resolution.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is about real world performance. The difference I have noticed are Safari pages not needing to refresh when I have multiple tabs open and switching between them and apps not closing in the background when I am running several of them.

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I guess I'm too basic a user to have noticed. I rarely have multiple tabs open in Safari. But if the extra RAM allows dynamic refresh for people then that is a pretty big deal. I'm basically an email/calendar/phone call kind of guy. I'll use a few apps like Flipboard or Apple News, Twitter, Facebook, etc to check on things. Now with my 6s Plus, however, I'm branching out and doing more. A lot of the things I only did on my laptop are now things I do on my iPhone. Old dog, new tricks!