Compass Just a Gimmick?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Is the new built in compass supposed to show us what direction we are facing in Maps. It has never shown what direction I'm facing since I got the new iPhone. Has anybody got it to work?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
When you're in Google Maps, tap on the crosshairs icon once to locate yourself, and then a second time to show your orientation via the compass. It will show a radar sweep, for lack of a better term, to show what direction you're facing and the map will swing around as you move.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
When you're in Google Maps, tap on the crosshairs icon once to locate yourself, and then a second time to show your orientation via the compass. It will show a radar sweep, for lack of a better term, to show what direction you're facing and the map will swing around as you move.
Thanks! That worked. I didn't know I had to tap the cross hairs again to activate the compass feature.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
i still think its a gimmick. It works great when you're out in the open, but in my cars, the damn thing is always off if not giving me an "interference" message. Worthless if you ask me.... What's the point of a compass when you can't use it well in a car where you actually need a directional map?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The compass app is pretty cool to use when you are passing time on a plane. I didn't get the (8) one time during my flights to NY and Ohio yesterday.

I do get the occasional (8) in the car, though.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
My compass finally became useful. I was lost in the big woods and needed to make my way to the west. It was such a long hike I had to stop for the night and make camp. I opened up the top of my 3Gs and removed one of the waterproof matches and started a fire. After the fire was good and going I removed the fishing line and hooks from my 3Gs and caught a delicious bass. After eating my fish dinner I was tired. I inflated my 3Gs, used its pillow feature and slept like a baby. Thank heavens for my trusty 3Gs.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
My compass finally became useful. I was lost in the big woods and needed to make my way to the west. It was such a long hike I had to stop for the night and make camp. I opened up the top of my 3Gs and removed one of the waterproof matches and started a fire. After the fire was good and going I removed the fishing line and hooks from my 3Gs and caught a delicious bass. After eating my fish dinner I was tired. I inflated my 3Gs, used its pillow feature and slept like a baby. Thank heavens for my trusty 3Gs.

Give me a break... all you had to do was use the House APP. :cool:

Seriously though... how does the compass work? Does it use the GPS to gauge which way you're facing or is it a magnetic compass? Does it figure out your declination for your (true north vs. mag. north)?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
if you go to airplane mode, the compass still works! if you take the sim card out... the compass still works! so it doesn't need 3G Edge or any other connection, this is amazing

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
if you go to airplane mode, the compass still works! if you take the sim card out... the compass still works! so it doesn't need 3G Edge or any other connection, this is amazing
There's a magnetometer in the iPhone 3G S. So, you shouldn't need the internet. There's only so much the internet can do. :p

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Give me a break... all you had to do was use the House APP. :cool:

Seriously though... how does the compass work? Does it use the GPS to gauge which way you're facing or is it a magnetic compass? Does it figure out your declination for your (true north vs. mag. north)?
Magnetic, and it finds both true and magnetic north (found in settings "i" in compass app) Most higher end GPS units for hiking have this option now, but the 100-250$ hiking ones still require you to move so the gps can determine direction.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
i still think its a gimmick. It works great when you're out in the open, but in my cars, the damn thing is always off if not giving me an "interference" message. Worthless if you ask me.... What's the point of a compass when you can't use it well in a car where you actually need a directional map?
You've got to drive in a non-metallic car.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Ive been having issues with this as well. Its spot on when Im walking or even in my house, but on the road its usually about 45 degrees off. It looks like Im driving down the road sideways.
So I searched the forums and found a few topics. One of which said not to calibrate it when it tells you to and to just wait a few minutes. After taking a few turns it pretty much straightened itself out.

But, after the car ride we took of course I took my iPhone with me, when I got back in the same things happened. I had to wait for a few turns before it actually straightened out. But by then you might be lost! Hopefully this can be fixed.