Compatibility with Garmin

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
Hi I currently use the bluetooth feature in my garmin gps as my speakerphone in the car. Anybody tried this or know it will work with the iPhone?
Thanks

4mula1

Aug 4, 2007
Hi I currently use the bluetooth feature in my garmin gps as my speakerphone in the car. Anybody tried this or know it will work with the iPhone?
Thanks
I have the magellan maestro 4040 and it works great as a speaker phone. When synced I can also make calls to numbers listed with POI's.

I have two Nuvi 680s and this iPhone pairs up perfectly with them. Just let the phone find the GPS. I can use the hands free on my GPS to dial out, answer calls and even ignore. It loads up my contacts, I get the missed calls, calls placed and calls answered.

Works perfectly!

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
Sweet! I've seen with my old motorola that a menu comes up on the garmin that you can compose texts right on the screen, have you noticed this with the iPhone?

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
Garmin owner

Bugger, guess you can't have it all. Thanks again.:cool:
a fairly recent Garmin software update also introducted a cool feature that will read your phone's new sms messages to you over it's speaker using the voice of your choice. This works over bluetooth - IF the iPhone supported it - which it doesn't yet.

hands free SMS reading - THAT would be cool.

SMS/Text Messaging A new software enhancement which enables SMS Text Messaging on compatible Garmin GPS products when paired with compatible handsets with Bluetooth® wireless technology. Short Messaging Service (SMS) is available on most mobile phones that permit the sending of short messages. Garmin customers with compatible GPS units may download the free software update by visiting, http://www.garmin.com/support/. With this update users can send and receive SMS text messages in addition to other existing Bluetooth wireless technology features such as hands-free calling, POI dialing and address book syncing*. Furthermore, for those Garmin products that support text-to-speech (TTS), users can listen to the playback of the received text message read aloud on the unit.

For an updated listing of compatible phones that support SMS text messaging, please visit http://www.garmin.com/bluetooth/phones.jsp.

a fairly recent Garmin software update also introducted a cool feature that will read your phone's new sms messages to you over it's speaker using the voice of your choice. This works over bluetooth - IF the iPhone supported it - which it doesn't yet.

hands free SMS reading - THAT would be cool.
I haven't been over there recently to check for updates. I'll have to get over there soon.