compatible iTune version for iPhone 4gb

ramanan

Aug 8, 2008
I am new to iPhone and to this forum. Sorry if the query is very basic. I want to be just safe. I have read the various postings in this forum for about 3-4 hours and I am thankful to you - I am certainly educated.

I had just brought in a locked 4GB iPhone from US and had it unlocked locally at India yesterday by paying equivalent of around US $ 35. The phone is working fine and I am able to access Internet too from Cellone (BSNL) postpaid connection. Version 1.1.4 is installed. I do not know if it has been jailbroken. How can I find out.

The important query is what version of iTunes I should download to my PC which will be compatable to this iPhone4G version 1.1.4.

I want to be certain as I don't want to lock the phone again accidentally and spend again another $35 :laugh2:.

Grateful thanks in advance

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You don't have to worry about the version of iTunes. The only thing you want to avoid is upgrading the Firmware. When you plug your iPhone into your computer iTunes will tell you that there is an available update. DO NOT UPDATE your iPhone. If you do not update to 2.0 (now 2.0.1) you will be fine and your $35 investment will be safe. Any version of iTunes will do.

ramanan

Aug 8, 2008
Thank you Philip. Your reply is helpful. Thank you

ramanan

Aug 8, 2008
BTW -
How do I find my iPhone is jailbroken.

And How do I Thank You Philip - (Am I missing the Thank you button)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you on on Firmware 1.1.4 then you should see an Application on the homescreen called "Installer". If you have the Installer icon then you are indeed Jailbroken.

As far as the things, according to the new Forum Policy you must have 25 posts prior to thanking a post. Thanks for the thanks though.

ramanan

Aug 8, 2008
Thanks again. My phone does show an icon "Installer" and when i click it it connects to net and shows a number of applications, though I don't know what are they and why it is connecting to net and whether they are safe to install :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Most of the Applications in Installer have been tested by many people and as of this point are pretty safe to install on the phone. There will be an occasional App that makes your phone slow down or seems buggy and it is best to just get rid of those Apps before too long. It's better to lose an App than to have to restore your entire phone.

Also, you need to be on EDGE or WiFi to download the Applications from Installer.