Compete or not to Compete with Otterbox

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Rico Adams, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

black.jpg Hello all,
    I am new to the this forum, I am the founder of a company called RHYNOFIT. We created our first protective case for the iPhone 5/5s and wanted to get some opinions on what you guys and gals think. Case will be water resistant, shock proof front and back.JPG

We will be launching on Kickstarter 8 days.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Welcome to the forum.

I completely understand what you are asking for. I do need some more information though on your cases you are creating. Are they like the Otterbox, such as screen protection, basically 100% protected? I have had an Otterbox Defender for years now, but the one main thing that I dislike is that it's not waterproof.

Ok I just now see the first image. It looks 100% protected for the iPhone, is this correct?

3. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

Well we started on the trail of water proof but backed off. Decided to make it water resistant. it will protect against rain and temporary water dunks. The strength was the big thing as we used Re enforced polycarbonate on face and rear, not thin like the structure of the defender. two shot double molded rubber. Everything on the case is rubber on rubber, no polycarbonate on polycarbonate so there is true shock protection. The screen protector is a durable temp glass comparable to Gorilla glass

4. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

I had a defender but was unhappy with the plastic surrounding, when I take my case off I felt that it was scratched in some spots. My friends work in the oil fields and the company provided them with lifeproof cases. Thats great if their highest and best use is water protection but its not. A lot of their phones were damage because of falls from the trucks they are on etc. the life proof's thin back and lack of face and screen protection left them un protected in that environment. And thats when I started the design for this. photo(18).jpg inside.jpg

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Looks pretty heavy duty. Seems less of a Defender competitor and more in line with their high end Armor Series. I personally like the Defender, but my needs are more about protecting my iPhone from a 2-year old. I could definitely see tough work environments needing a more rugged case.

Any plans for a clip? Again, thinking of your target market, I could see that being important.

6. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

We had our eyes set on the Armor, but we changed to water resistant. Our next case will be water proof with a diver theme. We are all US Army veterans and we went with a holster style clip but I can see developing a hard clip in the near future.

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Looks interesting. LONG time LifeProof user here & used otter box defender a few years back. Could you give some specs on the case size wise and a potential price point?

8. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

ammo military style holster I mean

9. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

12.7 mm thick
    134.62 mm long
    71 mm wide

10. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

Price point, in the works now.

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the info. Will have to try and find you guys on kick starter.

12. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

optical lens on camera, waterproof membrane option will cover speaker areas and noise cancellation on rear.

13. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

Thank you, if you have any questions or things you think we should think about please let me know. 1000 minds are better than some

14. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Looks too much like the taktik case TBH.
    ja4y3agu.jpg

15. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

like the taktik case TBH.
    I agree we do have a close look in face plate but the look and function stops there the thin face and back plate of the taktik that is prone to breaking can't compare to our engineering. Their case has serious problems when using iO7 for swipe up. Their case is bigger wider and our price target is between $59-$79 bringing premium feel and durability to iPhone users for less. Kickstarters can get between $40 to $60. There are a lot of problems with taktik and other cases we took those problems and pluses and created The Rubicon

16. Rico Adams

Rico Adams New Member

Also with a closer look our face is deeper, our front camera area is different as well. Specs for face are different

17. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

All things considered, the LifeProof case is the best case on the market, Period. No my LP case can't sustain a fall from an airplane. No my LP case won't survive being driven over by an M1A1 Abrams army tank. But yours won't survive a drop into the kiddie pool

18. aprilandjan

aprilandjan New Member

That looks like a steel safe box for iPhone.

19. Sandeep Pathak

Sandeep Pathak New Member

When are you guys launching I would be interested in getting one if you guys ship it to India

Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app