Complete iPhone backup? Does it exist?

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
I want to completely backup my iPhone prior to re-installing the current system due to some weird issues with mail. The last time I did this however, I lost all of my shortcut phone numbers, text messages, and photos. Is there a comprehensive backup program for the iPhone?

iTunes seems to sync contacts and songs/videos ok. iPhoto will backup (but presumably not restore) the photos, and The Missing Sync for iPhone appears to back up SMS and the Notebook. But is there any one program to essentially "clone" the iPhone so that you can just restore it onto another one or back onto yours after a wipe?

Thanks!

-Phil

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I want to completely backup my iPhone prior to re-installing the current system due to some weird issues with mail. The last time I did this however, I lost all of my shortcut phone numbers, text messages, and photos. Is there a comprehensive backup program for the iPhone?

iTunes seems to sync contacts and songs/videos ok. iPhoto will backup (but presumably not restore) the photos, and The Missing Sync for iPhone appears to back up SMS and the Notebook. But is there any one program to essentially "clone" the iPhone so that you can just restore it onto another one or back onto yours after a wipe?

Thanks!

-Phil

Do that in iTunes with the sync.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Kind of like a Norton Ghost but for iPhones? I don't think there is such an animal. You could use something like iPhonebrowser and manually copy all the files onto your desktop (Windows machine) but the problem you would run into when copying them back is making sure the permissions and hidden files are correct.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
While the backup in iTunes does backup files such as Notes and Settings, I think the OP is looking for backing up everything, such as those that can only be accessed via SSH and Mobile Finder.

Griffinaz's method is probably your best bet - but you would most likely face the issue of permissions and such when copying back.

- John

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
Thanks everyone!

Hey All,

Thanks so much to those of you who replied to my post. Though not ideal, I guess it appears most things will back up and restore, and the rest (favorites phone list and photos from iPhone) I can just recreate. I wish there was a better solution!

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
It worked!

Again thanks to all who replied.

After sync'ing the phone through iTunes and then restoring the 1.1.2 software, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could completely recover my iPhone directly within iTunes. I now have my exact phone, just with a newly restored 1.1.2

I know from my experience with Macs that you generally want to avoid the small "automatic updates" to OS 10.4 and rather use the larger, downloadable "combined update" files available on Apple's website. This seems to avoid a lot of little bugs and quirks that can arise from a highly patched-up OS.

After having gone from the original iPhone software and updated each time Apple posted an update, my iPhone too showed a lot of buggy performance issues. Many of these, such as unresponsive email, seem to have disappeared for now. My battery life also appears to be better, as after I had patch-updated to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1 my battery life diminished significantly.

Has anyone else had this experience?

-Phil

davesafc

Bronze
Jan 1, 2008
when my first iPhone had a fault i got a new one thinking i would lose all numbers photos etc but after activating my new one i was asked if i wanted to restore from the backup of my old one, i was over the moon i got my texts photos contacts even thing like cookies and browsing history!:laugh2:

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
That was a seriously nice and unexpected feature...I was so sure that I would lose everything with Apple's software that I spent days looking elsewhere!

when my first iPhone had a fault i got a new one thinking i would lose all numbers photos etc but after activating my new one i was asked if i wanted to restore from the backup of my old one, i was over the moon i got my texts photos contacts even thing like cookies and browsing history!:laugh2: