Complete wipe of a 3GS

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
I jb'ed my 3gs and now want to start over, i want to completely wipe and start fresh.... whats the best way to ensure what I have written to the 3gs is erased? Just do a roll back/restore from iTunes? Plug the 3GS unit in witht he thumb button pressed to force things?

drake

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sync it in iTunes and then restore it. Restore to factory settings, not from back up. Restoring from back up will leave traces of the JB and potentially cause problems.

If you don't have mobile me, make sure you back up your contacts first (with Gmail or Yahoo in iTunes).

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
Not 100% sure what you are saying. Sync with iTunes then click restore, on the device page? All the backups I have done so far are JB free backups. Also all my contact info is already sync via yahoo

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The back ups don't matter. It's a bad idea to restore from a back up after you've jailbroken. You want to sync it to get all the recent apps, music, movies, etc into your iTunes library. Connect to iTunes and click the Restore box.

drake371

Jul 2, 2009
kk thanks, thats basically what i did, but didn't need a sync... had no new data that i wanted to save.

drake

Jimb0311

Jul 4, 2009
The back ups don't matter. It's a bad idea to restore from a back up after you've jailbroken. You want to sync it to get all the recent apps, music, movies, etc into your iTunes library. Connect to iTunes and click the Restore box.
Am i reading this right? If i want to bring my jailbroken phone back to stock, i should not restore from a backup thats was done before jailbreaking?

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
Restore

Make sure all your info and media is backed up in iTunes and Outlook (Contact & Calendar) or iCal and Contacts for a MAC first.

Restore you iPhone. When it asks, check "Set up as new phone". NOT from a backup. Uncheck that you want to sync contacts and music or whatever in the next screen. If it tries to sync just stop it.

You will have a fresh iPhone that is empty. Proceed with the Jailbreak.

reef

Jul 3, 2009
Am i reading this right? If i want to bring my jailbroken phone back to stock, i should not restore from a backup thats was done before jailbreaking?
i have the same exact question