Completely and utterly screwed. PLEASE HELP ME. This is serious.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

extract

Oct 19, 2007
I docked my iPhone today to play music in an Ipod dock. It just so happens that it completely messed up my iPhone. Not only did it overpower the iPhone (i don't even know how), but the battery completely went berzerk and overheated. I could not even put the phone in my pocket.

The phone never turned on after that, even after doing a reset. Nothing. At all. The iPhone is modded/unlocked/3rd party apps. I spent 500$ on this, and really need a solution. How do I get around it by calling Apple? Any other suggestions?

Please help!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have heard rumors that the voltage on the ipods is higher than the voltage on the iPhone. I have not been able to find anywhere the confirms it but if it is true that would explain why the phone superheated and burned out. I would not recommend telling Apple that you plugged it into anything other than the approved dock that came with the phone. If it were me I would allow the phone to cool down overnight and then plug it onto a USB cable and keep my fingers crossed. If that doesn't work I would take it to the Apple store.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
since they cant turn it on, then go to the Apple store an exchange it. but i don't know what would happen if they find out. if they do just say that you bought it from someone but you didn't know that it was unlocked

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Do not go to Apple. Yet.

They can and will turn it on. Any iPhone sent in is thoroughly checked for any hacking. If they find it, they will refuse service.

For now, hook up the dock to your computer and dock the iPhone. Let it sit for awhile.

In the future, make sure things like iPod docks say somewhere on them "Works with iPhone'. There was a post a couple days ago about a guy doing the same thing at a Sharper Image store.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think unlocking it should void the warranty since it's legally allowed. But they would just lock it again.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
twinnie, do you read? or rather, can you read? i've never been the angry person on these forums, but anyone who keeps even a limited amount of iPhone related news should know that Apple won't help you with modded/unlocked phones, at all. ignorance isn't bliss.

extract

Oct 19, 2007
Do not go to Apple. Yet.

They can and will turn it on. Any iPhone sent in is thoroughly checked for any hacking. If they find it, they will refuse service.

For now, hook up the dock to your computer and dock the iPhone. Let it sit for awhile.

In the future, make sure things like iPod docks say somewhere on them "Works with iPhone'. There was a post a couple days ago about a guy doing the same thing at a Sharper Image store.
whats the point of docking the phone if it doesn't turn on at all?

spy008

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Not really. I had a similar issue w/my modded iPhone purchased 7/12
and returned on 10/8. They plugged it in couldn't turn it on so it was replaced on the spot. Didn't even ask if it was hacked/modded/unlocked. If you can't turn it on they won't be able to turn it on either. And in spite of whatever anyone says an iPhone can be bricked w/no way to restore or do anything else with it, I've experienced it.

They can and will turn it on.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Do not go to Apple. Yet.

I agree, your advice is ideal. This is too expensive of a device to be careless with.

extract

Oct 19, 2007
Not really. I had a similar issue w/my modded iPhone purchased 7/12
and returned on 10/8. They plugged it in couldn't turn it on so it was replaced on the spot. Didn't even ask if it was hacked/modded/unlocked. If you can't turn it on they won't be able to turn it on either. And in spite of whatever anyone says an iPhone can be bricked w/no way to restore or do anything else with it, I've experienced it.

yeah, totally agreed. im trying to get Apple to fix it for me by sending it in. i live in ontario, canada, so any idea what would be the procedure? they have to help me out.

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I have a Bose dock. Sometimes it gets a little warm. I tend not to worry about it, but if it breaks I'll just have Apple replace it.

Ahhh...the beauty of not hacking your iPhone......

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
My wife has a friend who had their iPhone charging overnight and when he went to pick it up in the morning it burnt his hand. Yes, actual blisters. He took the phone in and they swapped it out right there. Apparently there is a Samsung part in the phone that controls when the battery is charging and when to quit receiving power from the outlet. This part has been failing and Apple is issuing new phones if yours fails due to this.

Beatbug2

Oct 19, 2007
I have a Bose dock. Sometimes it gets a little warm. I tend not to worry about it, but if it breaks I'll just have Apple replace it.

Ahhh...the beauty of not hacking your iPhone......
Hacking the iPhone is the best thing ever if it breaks because of hardware failure and the phone it self is burned its very hard for them to check unless they open it up and check the memory. And if they refuse service because it was hacked but it was a hardware failure I can assure you someone will file a law suite an win. Just because Apple made the iPhone does not mean we cant modify it so it becomes more interesting and useful . I can't stand when people buckle under corporate pressure, thats like being afraid of life it self.
ahh! The beauty of being free to use the things you own the way you want to. But don't take offense the iPhone is great out of the box but its amazing when hacked...

Peace

Beatbug2

Oct 19, 2007
If the iPhone wont turn on bring it to the store. If it turns on and you still have problems restore it and bring it to the store. If you can't restore you may be out of luck unless you know how to use charm. But Ive restored many times trying to unlock it and it comes back to its original state just fine. Apple should be proud that the iPhone is so versatile instead of being stubborn and wanting total control for profits. I love the company but some people seem to be way too hypnotized and trusting in Apple for their own good. They are human too you know. Well MAYBE.

What I think Apple should do is void the warranty if the iPhone is plugged into something that is not made for it that way they will sell more docks. But the iPhone is a hot item and I don't think Apple wants it sitting at a dock in a party because there is a high chance that it will be stolen...

jaepoori

Oct 16, 2007
I believe the store will replace the phone. I heard of someone on this forum using the phone on different docks at brookstone and used it on the Bose one and it fried his iPhone and they replaced it. Just tell them what happened and they should replace it for you.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
But, if he takes it to the Apple Store and they find out it's unlocked and modded, they will be of no help at all and will immediately void his warranty.
Sounds like the phone is zotzed anyway so sounds like he either risks it or has a very fancy paperweight.