Completely Back Up iPhone

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
Hi I am new to the iPhone and am LOVING it! I tend to use all the features as in the apps and photos, vids, etc. I was wondering is there any software/apps/tips/etc to COMPLETELY back up my iPhone? When I say completely I mean everything! Photos, videos, notes, calendar, etc, and most importantly APPS! Lets say something happens to my iPhone I want to be able to get everything back on it and especially without having to download each app from the app store again since I have A LOT of apps.. That's my main concern is downloading all the apps again if I had to replace my iPhone for some reason.. Thanks for the help in advance.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
iTunes. Just make sure you sync to iTunes at the end or beginning of each day or whenever you get a chance even. It will sync any apps, music, videos, notes, calendars, etc. to iTunes and create a backup including all of this stuff. And if you ever didn't sync an app or something bought from the iTunes store then it can easily be downloaded again for free since a record of it will be kept on you account and can easily be transferred to iTunes without the iPhone being synced.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Your apps, music, and videos are all saved in iTunes. If you have to get a new phone, you simply sync them onto to it. Your contacts, notes, SMS, settings, etc is all saved in the back up file iTunes automatically creates. I recommend syncing your contacts with an email account just in case you are forced to restore to factory settings at some point. Mobile Me works best for this and it syncs your contacts, calendars, and email. It has many additional features as well. It's about $60 a year. If you don't want to pay that, just sync your contacts with Google/Gmail or Yahoo in iTunes under the Info tab.

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
So if I plugged a new phone in I could sync everything back including apps?
Also.. I notice there are a lot of apps that are in the app library that I don't even have on my phone anymore but I did at one time.. The library doesn't update with ONLY the apps currently on my iPhone?

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
Your apps, music, and videos are all saved in iTunes. If you have to get a new phone, you simply sync them onto to it. Your contacts, notes, SMS, settings, etc is all saved in the back up file iTunes automatically creates. I recommend syncing your contacts with an email account just in case you are forced to restore to factory settings at some point. Mobile Me works best for this and it syncs your contacts, calendars, and email. It has many additional features as well. It's about $60 a year. If you don't want to pay that, just sync your contacts with Google/Gmail or Yahoo in iTunes under the Info tab.
I was thinking about MobileMe, does it save everything like apps or just contacts and email and calendar? I don't mind paying for anything, as long as if I have to get a new iPhone I get everything that I have now back on the device just as if I had this device.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here's a list of the features. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
I mainly got it for the "find my iPhone" feature, but it does so much more. They have a free two month trial, so you can try it out. It doesn't save your apps, but it doesn't need to. iTunes saves your apps. If you want to delete an app for good, delete the icon in your apps library on iTunes on the computer.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
This is where it gets really hairy - have the guys explain to you how to save your backups. You had better do this since you may find that the latest backup will overwrite past backups and you may want to restore from another good "save point." Like the new icon Europa...