Completely delete an app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mikeph, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mikeph

Mikeph New Member

This may be a stupid question but how do I completely delete an app, as if it was never on any of my devices? I want to delete and re-download a clean in used copy of the app. I've deleted the app from my devices and in iTunes. But when I try to download it again I get the download from the icloud icon. Any suggestions?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

When you delete an app, all of the data is technically deleted. When you download it a second time, you're iPhone treats it as an entirely new app. What you're seeing is confirmation that you previously purchased it (or downloaded for free). Completely removing it from your purchase history wouldn't have any affect on the app usage.

Here are a few related articles. Removing these won't change your purchase history. Ultimately, that option to download from the cloud will still be there.
    How to delete apps from iTunes
    How to delete apps on iPhone

3. Mikeph

Mikeph New Member

Thanks Chris. That helps.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Glad I could help. I had a similar situation last night. I had deleted my Philips Hue app. When I downloaded the new version, it had no idea I owned a Hue. I had to set it up from scratch.

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Here's an odd twist: I used Microsoft's Outlook app on the company exchange server. I logged out of the server and still get notifications for meetings and calls that were on the calendar.

I deleted the app. Reinstalled it for use in y Office 365 account. But I'm getting notifications from the exchange server. It was never logged in to the exchange server after being re-installed.

Any ideas on how to remove the data?

6. GolfnCPA

GolfnCPA New Member

I believe you need to go in and delete the account within the app, and you will be given the option to delete all data from the server for the app. This is one of the problems with this specific app to my understanding, that the server stores all of this information permanently even after you stop using the app.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Also, to delete as much as possible, do it by tapping the X in the upper left corner of the icon. If you delete in settings, it's not as thorough. It even goes back to the same spot on the screen if reinstalled.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How are you deleting apps in the Settings app? The only way I'm aware of deleting them on the phone is with the X.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

In iTunes if you select "All Apps" and go to a specific app and right click you can delete that app...After using the "X" on my phone if I want the app completely gone that is what I do.

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 5.49.32 AM.png

10. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Done both. Not even logged in the exchange server. Still get the alerts. Very annoying. That's what happens when you mix Apple and Microsoft.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Go to settings >General >usage>Manage Storage> Tap on an app, then tap delete.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424796682.906673.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424796696.889195.jpg

What's odd is the two methods differ. If I delete an app tapping the X, and I reinstall it later, it comes back like a new app would. But if I delete in settings, it reinstalls in the same spot where it had been, even if it had been in a folder. It seems also that more is retained in the app when deleting in settings. I discovered this when I used to delete Facebook and Twitter to purge the cache. When I downloaded them back, they went right where they had been. But not if I used the X.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)