Completely delete and application

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I wanted to try Spanning Sync, so I gave the trial a shot. How do I delete the application 100%. I thought I did by dragging it into the trash, but there is still an icon in the menu bar, and I get asked about syncing every now and then. I also tried to drag the icon off by Command + Click and dragging off the bar but no luck. An ideas.
I tried searching in finder for "Spanning Sync" and nothing turned up.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
is searching in finder the same as searching in your HD?
I just gave it a shot and got the same results.

In finder i searched "spanning sync"
same as
Command + N then searched "spanning sync"

Yes, I believe it does. When I hover my mouse over the icon in the menu bar, it says my trial is over, open the preference pane. But that is where I "deleted" the application.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
try checking the website where you downloaded it , or look in the help part of the program to see if it says how to uninstall it

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
a lot of times, the uninstaller for an app is included in the original .dmg used to install the app. do you still have it? If not, try downloading it again.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
a lot of times, the uninstaller for an app is included in the original .dmg used to install the app. do you still have it? If not, try downloading it again.
OK, I think I deleted that right away. So maybe just download the .dmg again, then from there uninstall it?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, open the dmg, and see if there's an uninstaller. If they're a halfway respectable company, they should have one available somewhere...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I use AppZapper. It removes everything that has to do with the app. Then I relaunch finder and kill the dock to remove it's icons.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I use AppZapper. It removes everything that has to do with the app. Then I relaunch finder and kill the dock to remove it's icons.
John,
So I can re-download the application then throw it all in AppZapper and it wil get rid of any prefereces and caches?

Great App, I am always interested in downloading new applications and test them, now I can not have to worry about applications leaving unwanted prefs, and caches.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
John,
So I can re-download the application then throw it all in AppZapper and it wil get rid of any prefereces and caches?

Great App, I am always interested in downloading new applications and test them, now I can not have to worry about applications leaving unwanted prefs, and caches.
You just drop the app's icon into AppZapper and you're shown all of the related files - Installer, .plists, caches, etc. Then you can click "Zap" and it all moves to the Trash.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
John,
This is a little off topic, but is their a way to create a General Discussion for computers, not specific to iMac, MPB, MBA etc? I wasn't too sure where to put this question.
Thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i agree with that. there should definitely be a general mac section.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
This would be useful. The "Mac Tablet" thread is another good example for threads that would go there. However, that's a question for Chris. Forum organization isn't up to me.

iHero

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
codyjk.com
I would recommend AppZapper as John has said, it makes cool sounds when you are zapping the application. Also, where is the section for the Mac mini?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I would recommend AppZapper as John has said, it makes cool sounds when you are zapping the application. Also, where is the section for the Mac mini?
Is it worth the 12.99 download? I think that is the price that I saw. I don't believe that their is one. :/ I am looking to get a mac mini to convert dvds to movies, so it isn't constantly taking up my processor. The loud fan and the heat get annoying fast.