Completely invisble icon/spacer?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Is there an icon package that features a completely clear icon that I can use to separate certain rows of icons. I would like to separate my Customize and SMB icons and leave the last two spaces in that row blank.
Thanks.
Dana

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I've attached two blank Apps that have transparent icons. You'll need to upload them both manually to your Applications folder. Inside both blank apps, set the file permission to 0755 for the "Embark" file. Reboot your iPhone. If you're on 1.1.2 or lower, use Customize to re-arrange your icons. If you're jailbroken on 1.1.3, do the wiggly icons method. If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM.

Attachments

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you Enigmanic.
It is EXACTLY what I need.

Unfortunately, I am not particularly efficient at hacking my phone.
I downloaded the apps.

I tried to install them with iBrickr, but I could not seem to find a way to OPEN the apps files into iBrickr.
I tried to install them separately, and succeeded, but could not open them in any way.

Sorry to be high maintenance, but could you assist me with installing them?

Thank you
Dana

P.S. I sent this message PM also.

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Thank you Enigmanic.
It is EXACTLY what I need.

Unfortunately, I am not particularly efficient at hacking my phone.
I downloaded the apps.

I tried to install them with iBrickr, but I could not seem to find a way to OPEN the apps files into iBrickr.
I tried to install them separately, and succeeded, but could not open them in any way.

Sorry to be high maintenance, but could you assist me with installing them?

Thank you
Dana

P.S. I sent this message PM also.
Try using WinSCP, it's much easier...

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I use a normal webclip to do the same thing :p

You can check out my little tutorial over here if you're feeling brave:

Show off your Springboard without using Dock (1.1.3)
Dana is still on 1.1.2 firmware, so he couldnt do the webclip trick. But you're right, a transparent webclip would also work...not to mention a bit easier to move around since it has a little "x" icon. :)

There is one slight advantage of using the blank app though: if you accidentally click on the transparent icon, it immediately goes back to the springboard. With a webclip, you'd have wait for Safari to load, then close it. But that's just a minor annoyance.

Last edited by a moderator:

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Hmm, I didn't realize the 1.1.2 bit, and a firmware friendly solution intrigues me. I've written a couple of my own bash script apps, I'm sure I could tweak that around for a blank icon solution, and even give you an "oops" screen or something if you click it, just so you don't freak out when you see your status bar and apps zooming in and out for no reason.

Oh yeah, if safari launches, just hit the home button, heh.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Enigmanic. Thank you for your help and your blank icons.
My phone now looks exactly the way I want it to.

I appreciate it.
Dana

sacflava

Oct 29, 2007
okay...I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the zipped file, extracted it, uploaded it to my applications folder via WinSCP, changed the permissions to 0755 on the "Embark" file, rebooted.....its not on my homescreen. What am I doing wrong?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
If I remember correctly, the blank apps will never be on the homescreen. I believe that they are in Customize and you have to use the "eye" button to turn them on. Then you can use them that way.
I think....
Dana

sacflava

Oct 29, 2007
If I remember correctly, the blank apps will never be on the homescreen. I believe that they are in Customize and you have to use the "eye" button to turn them on. Then you can use them that way.
I think....
Dana

I don't have customize. I heard it doesn't work with 1.1.4. Is there another way to do this without customize?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've got a version of Blank App that I cobbled together available on my Installer Repository.

Check the link in my sig for the deets.

sacflava

Oct 29, 2007
so is Customize required for the Blank.app to work?

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
I've attached two blank Apps that have transparent icons. You'll need to upload them both manually to your Applications folder. Inside both blank apps, set the file permission to 0755 for the "Embark" file. Reboot your iPhone. If you're on 1.1.2 or lower, use Customize to re-arrange your icons. If you're jailbroken on 1.1.3, do the wiggly icons method. If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM.
how do we set permission to files?:oops:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Use the one in my repository to save yourself the install woes of dealing with permissions.

I'm not doing a firmware check on that app, it should be compliant with all firmware versions. It's just a bash script executable in an app folder with two spaces for it's name, " .app".

Easy as pie.