Complicated iTunes backup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

diljera

Oct 7, 2006
Hello,

I have a specific type of backup i would like to do for my iTunes, but I don't know how best to do it.

I have too many songs on my PowerBook and I want to take specific ones off and store them on my external drive. I'd like the names to stay in my iTunes, but I would like to move the files to a different drive and delete them from my PB. That way, when I reconnect to my external hard drive, I can easily access those songs that have been removed from my PB. Is there a way to do this inside iTunes? I would rather not delete each file, move it, and re-import.

Diljera

karthy

Oct 7, 2006
Hey Diljera,

After reading your problem, i have two answers, Yes and no. You can move your internal library onto an external drive easily. But there is no easy way to maintain certain pieces of your library in different places. You can set iTunes to leave files where they are, when added to the library, instead of copying them to the "proper" music folder, but this is how music gets lost. And the first time you need make a backup, you'd never be able to restore this arrangement.

I'd recommend moving the entire thing. At least, until Apple realizes our music libraries are growing larger than any 2.5" internal hard drive and we need to access certain songs more than others. This doesn't solve the latter situation, but maybe you can copy those manually to an internal folder for now. Then at least you know they are just copies, and all your library is safe in one place.

Moving your iTunes library to an external drive:

1. Connect the external drive and create an iTunes folder on it, if you haven't already.

2. Go to iTunes preferences, Advanced tab, General, and use the "Change" button to point to that new folder on your external drive. Make sure the "Keep organized" and "Copy files" functions are checked. Click OK.

3. Now go to iTunes' Advanced menu and select Consolidate Library. This will copy all of your existing music to its proper place, which is now set to that folder on your external drive. Any future additions to iTunes will also go there.

Now any new CD will rip onto the external. If you download anything via web or email, don't copy it to the iTunes folder yourself, just drag it to the iTunes dock icon. It will take care of copying the file to your external, and add it to the library listing. Then you can delete the original safely, saving internal drive space.

Just remember to mount that drive before launching iTunes. If you don't, no harm done, you'll just get a bunch of gray ! if you try to play anything.

Karthy