Composite AV Cable

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Apple Part # MB129LL/A

I am on vacation and wanted to watch my classic Star Trek episodes on my sisters TV. Since she has a older set, the component cable wouldn't work. I first bought a cheap $10 cable which plugged into the headphone jack but soon found out this doesn't work. After searching a little on Google I read about the Apple cables.

I wasn't certain this would work but went to a local Radio Shack and they had the composite cable for $49.99. They were nice enough to open it first and try it on their TV. Sure enough, it worked like a charm.

I am now watching City on the Edge of Forever on my sisters TV from my iPhone 3G. Plus it plays all my video clips and whatever movies I have loaded. Just thought everyone might like to know this works great. I would have bought the component cables but when I travel, more likely than not, the TVs in the hotels won't be advanced enough to even have component inputs. This solution will work wherever. :)

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Thanks Chris

i am sure you can get that cable for less than 15 bucks..will check and see
unfortunately. I needed it here this week. I didn't have time to look around but I'm happy with the quality of the cable. It's a really well made cable with a USB power supply attached to it. Well worth the $50.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been wondering what exactly plays through the AV cable? Is it just the iPod videos? Or do all quicktime music and video files playback (for example, if launched from a web page)? I'm curious if videos and TV streamed through OrbLive would show through the AV cable.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Good Question

I've been wondering what exactly plays through the AV cable? Is it just the iPod videos? Or do all quicktime music and video files playback (for example, if launched from a web page)? I'm curious if videos and TV streamed through OrbLive would show through the AV cable.
It won't even play photos so I think only the Ipod Video. Would be worth a test though. I'm happy it plays my movies. That's all I needed.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Photos

I wonder if there is a way to do slideshow of my photos on my TV. I've been searching but the only thing I come up with is that the resolution of the photos won't look very good on the TV. Which to me, says that it is possible. However, when I connect the composite cable, all that plays are my movies.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I wish they would come up a folding keyboard with docking station and AV out.... and allow anything on iPhone will project on a TV...

Would be perfect to use it while you are traveling.... who don't necessary need a laptop for their trip but once in a while need a bigger screen to surf the net in a hotel room...

it's on my wish list :p

I'm sure Apple, and especially att won't allow it though...