Computer and iPhone messed up, sort of...read here

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
OK....I'll try to explain.

My computer got all jacked up for some unknown reason. I was able to back up all my data on an external drive (J:/). After recovering the OS, and wiping data from C:/ I was able to redownload iTunes, and other programs. I pull my iTunes library from my J:/ and put into the "new" iTunes. So I'm hooking up my iPhone to iTunes, all is good, except my computer freaked out and shut down and my iPhone had to be restored (so iTunes said). So I never had a successful back up on my "new" iTunes before I wiped my iPhone clean, but I did have a successful sync). My last successful back up is on my J:/ along with my "old" iTunes library. I have a lot of information in an "iTunes" folder on my j:/ which is probably really resourceful - if I knew how to use it.

I have my contacts back on my phone, I've got my pictures back on my phone. However, my purchased songs from my "old" iTunes don't look like they are purchased on my "new" iTunes so it's not syncing those songs like it used to. So my newly restored iPhone is music-less right now. I would like to import my iTunes data on my J:/ drive to the new iTunes so that it was like before. Please help me!

**Also I would like to salvage information from my last back up which was about 3 weeks old and is also located on my external hard drive (J:/).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
To get your purchased music syncing, be sure to sign in to your iTunes account.

It is also relatively simple to recover your iPhone backup, but, unfortunately, it is not located in your iTunes music folder... I'd paste the exact location, but I'm on my phone right now.

To add you backed-up music to your fresh iTunes, go to file->add folder to library, and navigate to the iTunes folder on your J drive.

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
I am back at work now, but I will try that when I get home. Hopefully it is that simple! :)

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
Working as we speak! I knew it was something easy! Thanks man!

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
well....about half of my purchased songs transferred? The other ones say "some of the items could not be copied to iPhone because you are not authorized to play them on this computer" Any ideas there? I bought them from iTunes so why are they not authorized?

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
Little wee bit more help please...

well....about half of my purchased songs transferred? The other ones say "some of the items could not be copied to iPhone because you are not authorized to play them on this computer" Any ideas there? I bought them from iTunes so why are they not authorized?
any ideas here?

nvm I found my solution on Apple discussion after a google search of the error.

SoccerCBL

Dec 5, 2008
Remember that I'm sort of new to the iPhone and iTunes, so don't laugh. I signed into iTunes and that gave me most of my songs. Then I found out that I had to "authorize" my newly restored computer. I'm on my phone now so I don't know what menu option at the top. But it says "authorize" in the drop down menu. Hope this helps. :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
On a mac, it's the "Store" menu... may be different on a windows machine.