Computer backup solutions?

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Trying to get some thoughts/ideas on backing up home computers. We have an older desktop that has all of our family stuff - pictures, videos, tax returns, scanned documents, etc. Both my wife and I each have a new-ish laptop. To be honest, the only reason we have kept the desktop are because we use Quicken for our checkbook register and we both need access to that program. That and the kids use it sometimes.

I've been trying to think of away to do things that might make our data more accessible to both laptops and keep a reliable backup against computer failure. The desktop is almost 9 years old - not sure how much longer it will be a usable computer based on modern program requirements. I have a large amount of "free" cloud backup space. 100gb on Box.com and 28gb on Skydrive. I know I can store my pictures, etc on either, but I'm wondering if they are "secure" enough to store some other backup documents like tax returns, etc.

I've been wondering what other folks do?

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I ended up going with SOS backup. Backs up all the computers in the house. Incremental backups every night, so I don't have to stress about it. I've done restores a couple of times and it works well. But it's not free.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
Trying to get some thoughts/ideas on backing up home computers. We have an older desktop that has all of our family stuff - pictures, videos, tax returns, scanned documents, etc. Both my wife and I each have a new-ish laptop. To be honest, the only reason we have kept the desktop are because we use Quicken for our checkbook register and we both need access to that program. That and the kids use it sometimes.

I've been trying to think of away to do things that might make our data more accessible to both laptops and keep a reliable backup against computer failure. The desktop is almost 9 years old - not sure how much longer it will be a usable computer based on modern program requirements. I have a large amount of "free" cloud backup space. 100gb on Box.com and 28gb on Skydrive. I know I can store my pictures, etc on either, but I'm wondering if they are "secure" enough to store some other backup documents like tax returns, etc.

I've been wondering what other folks do?
Honestly I run my backups with a portable external hdd. I got only a 500gb one as I only back up my design work but it's so simple just to back up. I also have it partitioned so I can use it as an external hdd with my xbox.

It works well for me. I tried an online one but it was going to take days to back my stuff up and I don't think that's good enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TudorJ

Jul 19, 2011
London UK
Take a look a Macrium Reflect, although it is licensed per machine. Very good for everything, you can even produce a bootable USB drive if you happen to kill your machine or have a disk crash. Backs up fine to a removable HDD. I use it a lot, even on Windows 2012 servers!