computer crashed... how to keep music/ringtones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
my laptop recently crashed and i had to start over from scratch, when i connect my iPhone to iTunes next will it put all my music back in iTunes or erase it all?

and if it erases it all, is there someway/program i can use to get the music from my iPhone?

i also have a few downloaded ringtones, will i loose those as well and have to re-purchase them? =/

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Anything you purchased and didn't back up, yeah, it's gone and you'll have to repurchase. You theoretically could say "manually manage music and videos" to keep it from erasing them from the phone (I think... You could with an iPod anyway...) but as far as getting it back onto the computer, you're out of luck. Back up your library more often. :(

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
crap.....

is there anyway i can just like drag the music from my iPhone and put it on my computer? i have a really big music library and don't want to loose everything...

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Actually, if you have music on your iPhone that you purchased through iTunes, then yes. You just have to authorize your new computer and then select "Transfer purchases from iPhone" from the file menu before you sync it the first time. Music not purchased through iTunes you're SOL, though.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, any music you purchased (and I believe ringtones too, but I'm not entirely sure) you will be able to get back to your laptop. Make sure you are signed in to the iTunes store with the account that bought the music and your computer is authorized. After that, when you plug in your iPhone it will ask you "There are purchased songs on your iPhone. Would you like to transfer them to this computer?" Just hit yes and it will transfer them back.

As for the sons that you didn't purchase, if you want to get them back, try out this app, http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/. It will allow you to transfer your music from the iPhone to your computer.