Computer crashing when plugging in iPhone

roeraade

Mar 28, 2009
Maybe someone can help me with this..
The problem is that when i plug in my iPhone and have pictures on it my computer crashes, no exeptions.
I read on Apples support page that it might have something to do with my webcam, a logitech orbicam.
The sollution was to install new drivers, tried that and it doesent help. I don't use my webcam so I wouldn't mind uninstalling it. tried that but as soon as i plug my iPhone in the computer finds the webcam and automaticly installs it, and crash.

So is there a sollution that im not aware of or does anyone know how to disable the webcam for good, maybe cut the power in someway (the webcam is build in)

have a acer Travelmate 5620 running XP

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I am not sure you can disable drivers for built in hardware..they will just re appear. Do you have any other usb peripheral hardware installed..even if it isn't connected? printer?

roeraade

Mar 28, 2009
I have a Hp Laserjet 1020 installed, wacom tablet and a couple external harddrives. could one of those be causing it? hopefully not i use all of them...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
this is quite strange- you mentioned your computer crashes, can you be more specific, what actually happens to your computer when you plug your iPhone in?

roeraade

Mar 28, 2009
when i plug it in my computer detects the iPhone as a camera and iTunes tries to open. maybe 3 seconds later i get the blue screen of death and my computer reboot. when i do get back in to windows i get the message "your computer has recovered from a serious injury" or something like that.
I found this info on Apples website http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1502 and it pretty much nails my problem but the solution (updating drivers) doesent help.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
The problem has been reported with HP printer drivers too. Try uninstalling the printer and see what happens.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
You may have to delete the pics from your iPhone. If uninstalling the printer works...you should delete the pics when you can sync.
Disabling iPhone autoplay may help too. A simple google search "disable iPhone autoplay" brought up "how to" links for Vista and XP.