Computer does not see iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Ok, I've been on here since Friday looking for answers as everyone has probably seen and I'm still stuck. My iPhone will not register in iTunes, and I've had to do synching from other computers and I'm now officially sick of it. I was going take the phone back on Sunday, but I realized that I was just pissed and re-thought.

First of all I have updated iTunes, so don't bother with that one. I have a Dell Dimension E510 with windows xp sp2, bought last year. When i first hooked up the phone, it said recognized new hardware, Apple something, or something of the sort. But nothing ever appeared in iTunes. Then after that, it just made a sound when I plugged it into the USB port, but nothing.

I then registered my iPhone on another computer (another dell by the way that is 4 years older than mine) and was able to get activated rather quickly. Now when I plug in the phone to my computer I get a prompt to open photo shop-type programs as if i've plugged in a digital camera. Still nothing appears in iTunes. I used my roommates computer (another dell by the way that is practically the same computer as mine) and synched some songs and it worked fine.

At this point, i've tried everything I can think of. I reinstalled iTunes at least twice. I've tried every USB port on the computer. I've tried opening iTunes first then plugging the phone in and vice versa. Nothing is working.

The only other thing I was going to do was get a PCI USB adapter that'll add 2 additional USB ports in the back of the computer that I know are 2.0. But I don't want to do that if I don't have to and I don't think it'll work. It should work with the 1.1 USB ports anyway and the computer is from 2006. I know it's a problem with my computer. I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Should I call Apple or Dell or Microsoft?

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
I have no idea if this will be helpful or not. I don't have an iPhone, but I have a Dell that is about 2 years old, and is running XP Pro SP2. Every once in a while, I have a similar issue with hardware on my computer. One time it was my iPod, but it was because my iTunes needed to be upgraded. Another time, it was because for some reason my computer couldn't recognize the drivers for my external hard drive (a Flipdisk by Amacom). It took several tries, and when I called Amacom, they said it should automatically find the drivers and I should not need to locate them myself. Wrong. Turns out I had to go in and make sure that ALL the previous folders associated with the Flipdisk had been deleted completely from the computer, unplug the flipdisk form the USB, restart the computer, go online and find the drivers on Amacom's website, install them on my computer and THEN plug the Flipdisk back in. Found it with no problem.

When you reinstalled iTunes, did you completely remove all previous traces of the program? (But don't make the mistake I did - back up those music files, etc!)

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
The first re install of iTunes i don't think it deleted all of the files because when I downloaded it, all of my files were songs showed up. I then moved all of my songs and then went into the hard drive and deleted the folders and then removed the program and reinstalled. Still same result.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
I am not sure who you should contact. Maybe contact Apple first, because they may have had a lot of customers with similar issues since the phone's release? Then, if they can't help, try Dell or Microsoft. Dell's customer service is decent, and they can help with a live online chat...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
The photo program opening is normal since the iPhone is also a digital camera. Go get the USB port card and try that. You can always return it if it is not the solution.

meldour

Jul 2, 2007
I am not sure if this will help, because its rather silly... After downloading iTunes 7.3, and connecting iPhone to the computer, nothing was working for me. It kept giving me some error message, so I initially thought that I had a defective device but then I tried something simple, restarting my computer, and voila! everything started working :)