Computer totally sluggish and reboots -- after iTunes install

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Just installed iTunes and trying to sync my new iPhone...

already found out that jpg files completely hang my computer during sync, and even messed up my RAID 1 Array twice, requiring me to rebuild the drive...

anyway, my calendar and contacts from Outlook synced fine, but it seems that the syncs take FOREVER...(I have NO music or Pics yet to sync) plus ever since installing iTunes and syncing, my computer is very sluggish, and reboots / crashes many times while syncing!

Has this happened to anyone?
I am running Vista 32 with RAID-1 (mirror) drives.
...this is starting to remind me of my early Activesync issues :mad:

Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
iTunes Crashes RAID Array on Vista

I know the problem of iTunes/Quicktime crashing RAID arrays on Windows Vista is a known problem (it has crashed my Dell PC with MS Windows Vista Ultimate two times! :mad::(), I am wondering if any brave souls have tried this lately with the new Intel Matrix Manager software installed (7.6) and the most recent versions of iTunes/Quicktime?

I currently run a Dell XPS 410 with a RAID 1 array and also have an iPhone. When I installed the then current iTunes/Quicktime on my Dell last summer when the iPhone was released, I was able to register the iPhone and it worked a little while before crashing the system and screwing up my RAID array. I have not had the courage to try things again since Intel released the new version of their Matrix Storage Manager software and the newer versions of iTunes/Quicktime. I currently sync the iPhone on my Sony VAIO laptop without issues but would like to be able to use my desktop.

Anybody had luck with the newer versions of these software on their Vista machines running RAID arrays?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I know the problem of iTunes/Quicktime crashing RAID arrays on Windows Vista is a known problem (it has crashed my Dell PC with MS Windows Vista Ultimate two times! :mad::(), I am wondering if any brave souls have tried this lately with the new Intel Matrix Manager software installed (7.6) and the most recent versions of iTunes/Quicktime?

I currently run a Dell XPS 410 with a RAID 1 array and also have an iPhone. When I installed the then current iTunes/Quicktime on my Dell last summer when the iPhone was released, I was able to register the iPhone and it worked a little while before crashing the system and screwing up my RAID array. I have not had the courage to try things again since Intel released the new version of their Matrix Storage Manager software and the newer versions of iTunes/Quicktime. I currently sync the iPhone on my Sony VAIO laptop without issues but would like to be able to use my desktop.

Anybody had luck with the newer versions of these software on their Vista machines running RAID arrays?
I'm so glad someone finally replied! :)
I read on the Apple forums that someone tried to install the latest Intel Matrix manger, and it fixed the problem, BUT unfortunately I cannot install the latest version because for some reason my computer chipset is not supported ! I won't allow me to install, and says something like "the specific hardware is not found, installation aborting" .... my computer is only 1 yr old too!
Yes, my RAID crashed about 15-20 times (trying to fix this compatibility problem), takes forever to rebuild.

Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Hasn't the support people helped you install it on your machine? I can't believe your chipset isn't supported; can you update the chipset to a version that is?

I'd contact Technical Support; they guided me through installing the latest Matrix Storage Manager (7.6) this Fall. Intel just came out with version 7.8 but Dell hasn't tested it yet and has not released "their" version of it.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Hasn't the support people helped you install it on your machine? I can't believe your chipset isn't supported; can you update the chipset to a version that is?

I'd contact Technical Support; they guided me through installing the latest Matrix Storage Manager (7.6) this Fall. Intel just came out with version 7.8 but Dell hasn't tested it yet and has not released "their" version of it.
Did you call Tech support from Dell or Intel?

Here's a relevant thread that I have been looking at:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1156970&start=15&tstart=0

This is what my problem is:
I can't download the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager (7.8.0.1012) because my chipset is Intel 925X Express (Intel 82801FR SATA Raid) and the latest version won't install on my computer.

It says "does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software" when trying to install.

I am forced to use the older 7.0.0.1020 (5/4/2007) version of Intel Matrix Storage Manager, which I think is causing the problems above in this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I use Dell's Tech Support exclusively at this point. The version of the Matrix manager you have was the original one that came with my computer but I was talked through updating to version 7.6 by the Dell Techs this Fall. Dell hasn't released "their" version of 7.8 yet so I have not done anything about that. I suspect it will take a few months of testing by Dell until they do and perhaps, my chipset won't be supported by this newest version either.

Can you still download version 7.6? That might help with this issue but that is precisely what I'm posting about. I want to know who has version 7.6 and who has tried the latest iTunes and Quicktime. I want to know that this version of the Matrix Manager did, indeed, solve the problem before I try it again. I don't ever want to go through that corruption of my HD/array because the first time Dell shipped me an entire new computer and the second time I was able to "rebuild" the corrupted HD in the array. I've spent too many hours configuring and adding data to the computer to go through this again if the problem still remains. It would REALLY BE NICE to be able to sync my iPhone with my Dell desktop instead of hauling out the Sony laptop each time I do it.
Did you call Tech support from Dell or Intel?

Here's a relevant thread that I have been looking at:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1156970&start=15&tstart=0

This is what my problem is:
I can't download the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager (7.8.0.1012) because my chipset is Intel 925X Express (Intel 82801FR SATA Raid) and the latest version won't install on my computer.

It says "does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software" when trying to install.

I am forced to use the older 7.0.0.1020 (5/4/2007) version of Intel Matrix Storage Manager, which I think is causing the problems above in this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I use Dell's Tech Support exclusively at this point. The version of the Matrix manager you have was the original one that came with my computer but I was talked through updating to version 7.6 by the Dell Techs this Fall. Dell hasn't released "their" version of 7.8 yet so I have not done anything about that. I suspect it will take a few months of testing by Dell until they do and perhaps, my chipset won't be supported by this newest version either.

Can you still download version 7.6? That might help with this issue but that is precisely what I'm posting about. I want to know who has version 7.6 and who has tried the latest iTunes and Quicktime. I want to know that this version of the Matrix Manager did, indeed, solve the problem before I try it again. I don't ever want to go through that corruption of my HD/array because the first time Dell shipped me an entire new computer and the second time I was able to "rebuild" the corrupted HD in the array. I've spent too many hours configuring and adding data to the computer to go through this again if the problem still remains. It would REALLY BE NICE to be able to sync my iPhone with my Dell desktop instead of hauling out the Sony laptop each time I do it.
Wow. You swapped out your whole computer? painful... anyway, ya I know what you mean about rebuilding the drives which sucks. Takes forever, and slows the whole computer until it's done.
I'll try the version 7.6 when I get home from work to see if it works on my computer. Do you happen to have the direct link to the download site for version 7.6?

Here's the summary of my problems with Vista/Raid/QT/iTunes:
So far, I CAN sync: All Outlook Calendar events, contacts, Songs.
I can sync (with workaround): Pictures - using the USB stick workaround
I CANNOT sync: Any videos/podcasts.
I have computer freezes when: Changing/adding AlbumArt through iTunes, unless I use a workaround: Using Tag&Rename (or other program) to first assign AlbumArt to the songs, then dragging the mp3s into iTunes...which works.

I can live without having videos on my iPhone, but it would be nice to have this function someday...

Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
No, I don't have a link to that; you'd need to contact Intel. Dell has "their" version of it (7.6) on their support page but I assume that it's specific to certain Dell computers/motherboards and might not work for you.

When I access Intel's support and download page, the only option is their newest version 7.8 so that's why I think you'd need to contact Intel to see if you can still download version 7.6 (which, hopefully, supports your current chipset).