Conclusion to IMEI number being changed!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 1, 2007
huge conclusion.. to bricked iPhone or Invalid SIM! EVERYONE , try restoring your phones with the SIM card OUT of the phone itself.. I just did so, and put the SIM card back in after everything was restored, and after it booted up, and the IMEI number is the same again! woot woot! Now everyone can get their phone replaced!

UriA702

Sep 28, 2007
I did that and visited the 5th avenue flagship store about 2-3 hours ago and the nice guy did indeed replace the phone for me. only problem is the phone he gave me doesn't read my AT&T sim card and now i have to go back again tomorrow and wait for another 2 hours in a store that usually houses around 3000 people! what a pain in the butt!

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
I have just checked my phones ime number with the settings about numbers and they match. I was wondering since I have a lot of customization done 3rd party apps, themes etc if I upgraded would I get the IMEI error?

PS: Not going to upgrade but just wondering.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
so how would your imei change if its physically on the phone
because when the iPhone is unlocked to be used in a different network, other than ATT, the IMEI on the phone changes, no the number etched on the phone but the number in the software that is then used to athenticate the phone to the network in which it is beign used... this is just one of the few test Apple could do (but often don't) perform to see if the iPhone was or not unlocked.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I've hacked my phone to pieces, running third party apps and using T-Mobile, and my IMEI number in Settings matches my IMEI number on the back of my phone. Go figure...

Aug 1, 2007
I've hacked my phone to pieces, running third party apps and using T-Mobile, and my IMEI number in Settings matches my IMEI number on the back of my phone. Go figure...
i see.. well thats what they mainly look at before any suspiscion is drawn around you hacking. if its correct, they are like 73 percent likely not to check.

Oct 10, 2007
i see.. well thats what they mainly look at before any suspiscion is drawn around you hacking. if its correct, they are like 73 percent likely not to check.
Hey Rollin...I tried your method to get the orginal IMEI number back but didn't work for me. basically...
- take my sim out
-I restored to 1.0.2 with iTunes
- iPhone restored and comes back up to the main screen with switchboard
- inserted my AT&T sims which came with the phone.

The IMEI is still different...any advice? i am trying to get it the same so I can get it fixed..thanks for your help

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Here's something I noticed. If you turn your phone on without your SIM card inserted, your IMEI will be the same. When you insert the original AT&T SIM card, the IMEI will still match.

The only downside is if the phone is restarted with the SIM card inserted, it will revert to the changed IMEI. If you're trying to get your phone replaced, just go to the Apple store with your phone already turned on so the IMEIs match. If you're lucky, the Apple Genius won't restart your phone. This actually worked for me. If he/she restarts the phone with the SIM card inserted, you'll be out of luck but it's worth a shot.