Condensed from 9 pages to 3 - here's what I kept

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
So I had all 9 pages full on my iPhone and I decided I wasn't using most of them often enough for them to be taking up precious space and resources. I think I had over 800 mb of apps, and the home screen was severely lagging when swiping back and forth, along with it being very cumbersome to find my "favorites" (i.e. the ones I actually used).

I went through the list of apps and unchecked any one of them that I didn't use in recent memory or didn't think was of any value in my current circumstance. My iPhone has no service, so I only get occasional wi-fi access, and the 3rd party apps on it now are primarily ones that work offline.

So on my first page I have the iPhone apps I use reasonably often enough, and these 3rd party apps:

Lux Touch: quick and dirty time killer, when I need something that doesn't require much brain power, this is one of my favorites (much due to my enjoyment of the board game RISK that it is based on)

Aurora Feint: my favorite puzzle piece matching game, although I'm getting mighty frustrated every time I upgrade or restore that it fails to get my account from the server and I start over again

AquaForest: a nice pretty "ooh ahh" app...I'll probably move this onto the second page when I find a new favorite

Monkey Ball: Good to show the kids in the family and make them think I have a gamecube shoehorned into my iPhone. I still haven't gotten the hang of this, and I bought it pretty early on.

Galcon: A long time favorite of mine, along the same lines as Lux Touch on the iPhone and Pax Galaxia on the computer. Basically real-time free form RISK style gameplay

Spore Origins: So frustrating, it's addictive

and on my dock: App Store, Mail, Safari, iPod

Second page: a few oohs and ahhs, and good demonstration of the iPhone graphics or accelerometer control

Third page is where I stuck the rarely used or new apps I'm trying out

Fring is pretty nifty, the quality leaves much to be desired when logging into skype and calling, though. I've used it once or twice from open wi-fi hotspots to chat on skype or yahoo, and once or twice while visiting family to call my girlfriend.

JellyCar is a little odd. I can't get very far and I'll probably get rid of this one

TapDefense is probably my most favorite out of the new wave of apps I'm trying out. I was totally addicted to this kind of tower defense game for a long time on the desktop. (Desktop TD, Circle TD, etc) I beat it on Hard once with a score of 12,749 so far, but the replayability is limitless. In fact, I just finished a run of Easy using only Arrow and Ice towers, ending up with a score of 19,326, 15 lives, and over 75,000 gold in the bank by the end. Yeah, I'm addicted again.

Aerolite Free is an asteroids-like game brought into the 1990s with a bit of color, and then into the 2000s with touch controls... a little cumbersome and probably trying too hard to replicate the exact controls you could perform on the classic arcade systems. This would be better if you could move the ship with tilt, I think. I'll probably get rid of this one too.

Castles Lite is some kind of turn-based castle game I haven't yet been able to figure out.

Kroll is quite a visually stunning experience, and I've gone through a chapter so far on Hard. I read reviews of it being too short, I think that's exactly the appeal though. I don't always want to be spending 8 hours on a game just to beat it.

And then there's 1.25 rows of apps I haven't tried yet, as I just now perused the app store's games section

PAC-MAN Lite, Darts, Powerboat Lite, iPet Pets, and AppSniper (bought for $2 upon seeing the thread about it here...thanks! I like)

In conclusion, I quite like trimming down, and the iPhone is much more responsive now, especially on 2.2. I'm pretty happy with how fast it installs and uninstalls apps now.

If you've done something similar, what are your chosen few?

Last edited by a moderator:

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Hey Fury, I hope you don't mind me asking but what exactly is AppSniper?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Great selection of games there. You've picked a lot of my favorites and not many more.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You sure do love your games. Nice quick reviews. I'm curious about the apps you removed and why.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You sure do love your games.
Yep. That's pretty much all I can do with it since I don't have phone service on it. :laugh2:

Nice quick reviews. I'm curious about the apps you removed and why.
The list of apps I removed is much longer than the list of apps I kept ;) that's why I originally started the thread. I'll try and give it a whirl, but there are probably some apps I tried and deleted before ever syncing up with iTunes, so they're not on the iTunes app list I'm looking off of.

Apps I deleted because they didn't keep my interest (mostly boring games):

15 Puzzle
2 Across, Lite Edition
Accel Break
Apache Lander
Arcade Multi Game Pack (Jirbo Arcade?)
AstroTilt
Autodesk Fluid
Blip Solitaire
Blocks Classic Lite
Brain Tuner
Bubbles
BubbleWrap
Cannon Challenge
Carrie's Dots
CheckWord Lite
Chimps Ahoy Lite
Comet Cowboy Lite
Crash Landing
Crazy Mouth Lite
Crusher Lite
Cubes Lite
CubeWorld
CubicMan Lite
Dizzy Bee Free
Earth3D
Esteem Aid
Funky Punch Lite
Hangman
Hanoi
iDoodle2 Lite
iMaze Lite
iPint
Kaleidoscope Lite
Knock on Wood
LifeGame
LOLCats
Magic8ball
Mandelbrot
MazeFinger
Metronome
Moo
More Cowbell
myColorWave
Numba Lite
OmNomNom (Classic Snake)
Othello
Paper Football Lite
PapiJump
PegJump
Rain Stick
SpeedType
Spinner
RubyRepeat
Scribble
Shout
Sol Free Solitaire
Space Monkey
Stress Toy
Subway Shuffle Lite
Surface to Air Mayhem Lite
T4Two Free
TanZen Lite
TetoTeto
Tilt Me Lite
TouchReflex
Trippin
Tunnels
White Noise​

Apps I deleted because they were services I didn't (or couldn't, due to connectivity) use often enough:

AIM
Air Sharing
AOL Radio
Dial Zero
eBay Mobile
Facebook
Google Mobile App
iWant
Midomi
MySpace Mobile
Pandora Radio
PayPal
Speedtest
SportsTap
Twitterrific
vSnax
WeatherBug​

Apps I never could quite figure out:

aSubnet
Firedrop
InMotion PocketDyno Lite
iProcrastinate Mobile
Rev Lite
Stones
TankBuch​

Apps I couldn't really put to use after trying out:

Balance
Banner Free
Checklist
Evernote
Express (I forget the full name of this, it was listed simply as Express, and appeared to be some sort of mobile information portal shoehorned into an iPhone app)
iOweYou
Remote
Speed
Thunder & Lightning
To-Do's
To Do (yes, two To-do list apps)
WritingPad​

Apps I replaced with other apps or functions:

Flashlight (found it not effective enough since I had to turn the brightness up all the way, and that was just as good a flashlight as this app when all was said and done)
Freebird (replaced with Zippo Lighter)​

Some of them seemed like apps I think I either downloaded by mistake, or were downloaded by someone else using my phone (brothers had their hands on it pretty often), because I don't remember actually wanting to try out what was provided within.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Seriously, why do you get so much email?

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Yep. That's pretty much all I can do with it since I don't have phone service on it. :laugh2:

The list of apps I removed is much longer than the list of apps I kept ;) that's why I originally started the thread. I'll try and give it a whirl, but there are probably some apps I tried and deleted before ever syncing up with iTunes, so they're not on the iTunes app list I'm looking off of.

Apps I deleted because they didn't keep my interest (mostly boring games):

15 Puzzle
2 Across, Lite Edition
Accel Break
Apache Lander
Arcade Multi Game Pack (Jirbo Arcade?)
AstroTilt
Autodesk Fluid
Blip Solitaire
Blocks Classic Lite
Brain Tuner
Bubbles
BubbleWrap
Cannon Challenge
Carrie's Dots
CheckWord Lite
Chimps Ahoy Lite
Comet Cowboy Lite
Crash Landing
Crazy Mouth Lite
Crusher Lite
Cubes Lite
CubeWorld
CubicMan Lite
Dizzy Bee Free
Earth3D
Esteem Aid
Funky Punch Lite
Hangman
Hanoi
iDoodle2 Lite
iMaze Lite
iPint
Kaleidoscope Lite
Knock on Wood
LifeGame
LOLCats
Magic8ball
Mandelbrot
MazeFinger
Metronome
Moo
More Cowbell
myColorWave
Numba Lite
OmNomNom (Classic Snake)
Othello
Paper Football Lite
PapiJump
PegJump
Rain Stick
SpeedType
Spinner
RubyRepeat
Scribble
Shout
Sol Free Solitaire
Space Monkey
Stress Toy
Subway Shuffle Lite
Surface to Air Mayhem Lite
T4Two Free
TanZen Lite
TetoTeto
Tilt Me Lite
TouchReflex
Trippin
Tunnels
White Noise​

Apps I deleted because they were services I didn't (or couldn't, due to connectivity) use often enough:

AIM
Air Sharing
AOL Radio
Dial Zero
eBay Mobile
Facebook
Google Mobile App
iWant
Midomi
MySpace Mobile
Pandora Radio
PayPal
Speedtest
SportsTap
Twitterrific
vSnax
WeatherBug​

Apps I never could quite figure out:

aSubnet
Firedrop
InMotion PocketDyno Lite
iProcrastinate Mobile
Rev Lite
Stones
TankBuch​

Apps I couldn't really put to use after trying out:

Balance
Banner Free
Checklist
Evernote
Express (I forget the full name of this, it was listed simply as Express, and appeared to be some sort of mobile information portal shoehorned into an iPhone app)
iOweYou
Remote
Speed
Thunder & Lightning
To-Do's
To Do (yes, two To-do list apps)
WritingPad​

Apps I replaced with other apps or functions:

Flashlight (found it not effective enough since I had to turn the brightness up all the way, and that was just as good a flashlight as this app when all was said and done)
Freebird (replaced with Zippo Lighter)​

Some of them seemed like apps I think I either downloaded by mistake, or were downloaded by someone else using my phone (brothers had their hands on it pretty often), because I don't remember actually wanting to try out what was provided within.

How dare you delete LOLcats?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Well, I probably should have categorized that one differently. I couldn't get it to work often enough because the wifi connection here is spotty (the router is upstairs and across the hall at my cousin's apartment)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Seriously, why do you get so much email?
A good chunk of spam, a good chunk of notifications from blogs/forums/sites I belong to that post email updates, a good chunk of electronic bills, and a good chunk of family and friends emailing me. I probably have 4 or 5 different email addresses people know me by, unfortunately. and then a few more that I've dedicated to some purposes like Google AdSense or PayPal notices

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
A good chunk of spam, a good chunk of notifications from blogs/forums/sites I belong to that post email updates, a good chunk of electronic bills, and a good chunk of family and friends emailing me. I probably have 4 or 5 different email addresses people know me by, unfortunately. and then a few more that I've dedicated to some purposes like Google AdSense or PayPal notices
No offense, but what a mess! I'd go nuts with a system like that. I'm sure you got it down to a science... except for actually reading the email :p

You read it on your desktop or what?

Apr 9, 2007
Talk about priorities, do you have your phone icon on page 3 ? While I have you, is there a function that allows you to organize your apps and icons off the phone and then sync them ? Thanks

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm pretty sure the phone app is of little use without service. The keypad is kinda like an instrument.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
No offense, but what a mess! I'd go nuts with a system like that. I'm sure you got it down to a science... except for actually reading the email :p

You read it on your desktop or what?
None taken, that is precisely what it is. Some of it I read on the desktop, but a lot of it I sort through on my iPhone when I have a spare moment. I developed a distaste for Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, and the webmail way of sorting through it all and deleting, so my iPhone is the only way I usually keep the other mailboxes clean (the ones that I don't check on my desktop anymore) - except I've left it a bit long since the last time I did so, this time.

Talk about priorities, do you have your phone icon on page 3 ? While I have you, is there a function that allows you to organize your apps and icons off the phone and then sync them ? Thanks
Yep, the phone icon merely exists, out of lack of a way to hide it entirely. (I'm not currently jailbroken)

I did actually use it once to dial 911 when the fire alarm was going in my building, with no apparent evidence of a fire - just some foul play

There is no way to organize the icons other than on the phone. Apps you can check/uncheck in the iTunes -> iPhone -> Applications tab, but the only organization it does is to bump icons up in the list when you've removed one from the middle of the page. It does not move them to another page or reorder them in any way.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
dude, you forgot Pandora.
Nuh-uh

AIM
Air Sharing
AOL Radio
Dial Zero
eBay Mobile
Facebook
Google Mobile App
iWant
Midomi
MySpace Mobile
Pandora Radio
PayPal
Speedtest
SportsTap
Twitterrific
vSnax
WeatherBug
I had to delete it because I couldn't really use it. Wi-fi being spotty at home, and all