Configure iMessage so it knows i don't have a data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Deathgod616, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Deathgod616

Deathgod616 New Member

Okay, let me first tell you that i have an iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 and NO Data plan.
    So my issue is that when I don't have Wifi, it still tries to send iMessages, Which obviously doesn't work. But if i turn off Cellular Data (Settings>General>Network) -Which stops the iMessage from working when i have no Wifi- I don't receive and Picture messages which is kind of stupid since I receive quite a few of them during any given week.
    Is there any way i can just Automatically configure iMessage so it Knows i don't have a data plan and it'll only send it when i have Wifi and SMS when i don't?

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Nope. Apple and the carriers have conspired to push you towards a data plan. No data plan, no features. iMessage is sent over the data network, not the cellular network like text messages. It's designed to be automatically authenticated at both the sending and receiving ends so the network can identify both parties as having iPhones. There is no setting for you to change that configuration.

3. Deathgod616

Deathgod616 New Member

Wow, That sucks xD.
    Thank You for your help :).

4. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

What does that toggle do then ?
    Under settings-messages-iMessage.

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The toggle will turn off iMessage so EVERYTHING is sent as an SMS.

6. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

So I guess OP will just have to send everything via SMS or toggle that switch when needed.
    The price you pay for no data plan.