Confirmed: iPhone to go on sale at 8am

turbo187

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced iPhone 3G pricing for new and existing AT&T customers, several attractive voice and data plans, and tips on how to be “iReady” when iPhone 3G goes on sale at AT&T retail stores at 8 a.m. local time on Friday, July 11.

“We can’t wait to offer iPhone 3G to our customers, and we want to make sure the buying process is as easy as possible,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T’s wireless unit. “Considering all the great new features of iPhone 3G, we think our pricing and monthly plans present a tremendous value for consumers and businessses alike.”

Pricing and Eligibility

AT&T is making it easy for customers to prepare for their iPhone 3G purchase by posting “Get iReady” tips and frequently asked questions at www.att.com/iPhone. The site also will include a link for customers to check their upgrade eligibility and other wireless account information.

iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. These prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:

* iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
* Customers activating a new line with AT&T
* Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount

Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history.

Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will pay the standard $36 activation fee.

Voice, Data and Text Messaging Plans

AT&T brings iPhone 3G customers the best coverage on the globe and the largest mobile-to-mobile calling community with unlimited calling to AT&T’s 71.4 million wireless customers. iPhone 3G customers can choose from four individual AT&T Nation plans, which bundle voice and unlimited data (e-mail and Web browsing).

* AT&T NationSM Unlimited: Includes unlimited Anytime Minutes for $129.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 1350: Includes 1350 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $109.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 900: Includes 900 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $89.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 450: Includes 450 Anytime Minutes and 5,000 Night & Weekend Minutes for $69.99 a month.

All AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk® plans for iPhone 3G include nationwide long distance and roaming, Visual Voicemail, Rollover®, unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling and Caller ID.

AT&T will offer FamilyTalk plans, with bundled voice and unlimited data, starting as low as $129.99 a month for two iPhone 3G lines. Up to three additional iPhone lines can be added for $39.99 each.

Unlimited text messaging can be added for an additional $20 ($30 for FamilyTalk plans of up to five lines); $15 (1,500 messages), or $5 (200 messages).

iPhone for Business

Business customers interested in iPhone 3G should contact an AT&T businesss sales representative or review their account information online to determine their eligibility for upgrade pricing. Corporate e-mail and other businesss applications require the Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone, which is $45 a month and bundled with an eligible voice plan. Small businesss customers may qualify for AT&T BusinessTalk, the industry’s only shared plan specifically for small businessses. Additional details on iPhone businesss offerings are available at www.att.com/iPhoneforbusinesss.

iPhone 2.0 Software

All iPhone customers will benefit from the iPhone 2.0 software, which will be pre-loaded on all iPhone 3Gs and available as a free download for current iPhone customers. The new software will include numerous enhancements, such as businesss-class e-mail access via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync; the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK), which allows a businesss to easily create applications customized to its needs; and the App Store, which offers a wide-range of applications — from games to businesss, education to entertainment and productivity to social networking. For example, AT&T has developed YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile for iPhone, which takes local mobile search to a new level by allowing users to discover businessses and local events based on their popularity among other iPhone users, get directions and access businesss reviews.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Voice, Data and Text Messaging Plans

AT&T brings iPhone 3G customers the best coverage on the globe and the largest mobile-to-mobile calling community with unlimited calling to AT&T’s 71.4 million wireless customers. iPhone 3G customers can choose from four individual AT&T Nation plans, which bundle voice and unlimited data (e-mail and Web browsing).

* AT&T NationSM Unlimited: Includes unlimited Anytime Minutes for $129.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 1350: Includes 1350 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $109.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 900: Includes 900 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $89.99 a month.
* AT&T Nation 450: Includes 450 Anytime Minutes and 5,000 Night & Weekend Minutes for $69.99 a month.

All AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk® plans for iPhone 3G include nationwide long distance and roaming, Visual Voicemail, Rollover®, unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling and Caller ID.

AT&T will offer FamilyTalk plans, with bundled voice and unlimited data, starting as low as $129.99 a month for two iPhone 3G lines. Up to three additional iPhone lines can be added for $39.99 each.

Unlimited text messaging can be added for an additional $20 ($30 for FamilyTalk plans of up to five lines); $15 (1,500 messages), or $5 (200 messages).
so what if we want a family plan (2 lines) but we're only getting 1 iPhone? my wife and i are getting our first cell phone plan together. i will be getting an iPhone 3g and my wife will be using the phone i use now. any word on how that will work?

besides that question....this is exciting :) cant wait!

turbo187

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
so what if we want a family plan (2 lines) but we're only getting 1 iPhone? my wife and i are getting our first cell phone plan together. i will be getting an iPhone 3g and my wife will be using the phone i use now. any word on how that will work?

besides that question....this is exciting :) cant wait!
Don't know about that... sorry :)

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Don't know about that... sorry :)
the plans quoted above are just regular plans + $30 for the unlimited data

so im assuming our plan would be the basic $59.99 + $30 for my unlimited data, and then + $30 for unlimited family texts. (i had seen the unlimited family texting doesn't apply to the iPhone? but this post makes it seem like it does). so thats $119.99 which isn't too bad. hopefully thats how it works out but i wanted some re-assurance before i get to AT&T next weekend and they tell me different :p

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
damn. i am really disappointed that AT&T did not include 200 text messages in each voice plan as they do for the 1st gen iPhone plans. they really just want to wring every last dollar out of us, don't they?

Spoiler

Dec 29, 2007
"Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model"

well,this means I'll be waiting for a few more months.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Okay. I don't know if im not understanding because its too difficult for me, or because its too early in the morning where I am, but, right now, im not eligible for an upgrade, but on my AT&T account online, it says

"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment."

So does that mean, I can buy the new iPhone for $299, if I get the 2 year contract?

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. These prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:

* Customers activating a new line with AT&T
* Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount

Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Wow.. There goes ALOT of people trying to get their hands on the 3g iPhone,. Not many people (most of which who have V1) will be willing to shell out another 500 for the 3g.. damn ATT

Whoopsie.... I guess I brain farted.... nevermind that whole comment..

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Okay. I don't know if im not understanding because its too difficult for me, or because its too early in the morning where I am, but, right now, im not eligible for an upgrade, but on my AT&T account online, it says

"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment."

So does that mean, I can buy the new iPhone for $299, if I get the 2 year contract?
i think that means u would pay the $399 or $499 since you arent eligible for an upgrade, but are eligible for a discount

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
One of the videos mentions handing down the V1 iPhone but needing a sim card from the store to do so. I want to give my V1 to my wife who currently has a RAZR. So do I still need a new sim card or can I use the one in her RAZR? Will it have all her contacts on it still? I was thinking I can just get the 3G iPhone then come home and restore my V1 and activate it using iTunes without doing anything with the sim card, I guess I was wrong?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
If you have v1 you are automatically eligible for the upgrade.
"Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB)."

so does that only apply to AT&T customers that do not currently have an iPhone? basically punishing current AT&T customers by making them pay more...as opposed to people who are switching to AT&T for the iPhone. :confused:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you have v1 you are automatically eligible for the upgrade.
Okay, I have the V1 iPhone, but heres the thing, maybe around February, I bought a BlackBerry Curve, but for full price. I didn't pay the new 2 year contract price, so im not sure if I would be in a contract now for the BBerry or the iPhone. Also, now though, im using the iPhone with an iPhone plan again. So under those circumstances, would I still be able to get it for $299?
Thanks for your help, btw. :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
"Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB)."

so does that only apply to AT&T customers that do not currently have an iPhone? basically punishing current AT&T customers by making them pay more...as opposed to people who are switching to AT&T for the iPhone. :confused:
I think thats for AT&T customers without an iPhone already.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Okay, I have the V1 iPhone, but heres the thing, maybe around February, I bought a BlackBerry Curve, but for full price. I didn't pay the new 2 year contract price, so im not sure if I would be in a contract now for the BBerry or the iPhone. Also, now though, im using the iPhone with an iPhone plan again. So under those circumstances, would I still be able to get it for $299?
Thanks for your help, btw. :)
Sounds like you are good to go. The people who are not elegible are the ones without iPhones who do not qualify according to AT&T. Everyone with a v1 and an iPhone account should be good to go.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB.

Thats from AT&T's site. It says if you are eligible for an upgrade you can get that price. On my account online, it says I can get that price if I get a 2 year contract...

So, is that a yes that I can get a new iPhone 3G for $299?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Sounds like you are good to go. The people who are not elegible are the ones without iPhones who do not qualify according to AT&T. Everyone with a v1 and an iPhone account should be good to go.
Oh okay. Thanks for your help. :laugh2:

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
the plans quoted above are just regular plans + $30 for the unlimited data

so im assuming our plan would be the basic $59.99 + $30 for my unlimited data, and then + $30 for unlimited family texts. (i had seen the unlimited family texting doesn't apply to the iPhone? but this post makes it seem like it does). so thats $119.99 which isn't too bad. hopefully thats how it works out but i wanted some re-assurance before i get to AT&T next weekend and they tell me different :p
I was told when i ordered my wife's phone that any phone on the family plan gets unlimited txt.