Confirmed iPod Accessories that work for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cderalow

Jul 17, 2007
I'd like to try and compile a list of products for iPods that work with iPhones (and conversely, don't work).

If you have experience with a product, please post it, and the results.

I'll try to keep it organized and update my original post.

edit: if enough people put a sort of rating with the functioning of the product as well (5 stars being best), it'd be nifty

Car Adapters (Charge + Audio)

Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
Alpine CDA 9857 with iPod interface adapter
TenTechnology FlexDock Mini (assume the same for the full size) - Charges, plays audio, but phone does not lock into dock connector, as such, very loose, and easy to fall off (as of v1.0.1 update, full functions)
Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/Dock Connector
Car Chargers
Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
XtremeMac InCharge Auto Charger
Griffin PowerJolt :cool: :cool:

Home Speakers
Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
iHome iH5: Asks to be put into airplane mode, but will play music through speakers, charge & maintain remote functionality
Bose Sounddock: Standard incompatible message, but plays music etc.

Misc. iPod Accessories
Does not work:
iPod camera download adapter

Sort of works:

Does work:

Portable Speakers
Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 Portable speakers
Logitech mm50 iPod speakers

Portable Rechargers
Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
APC Mobile Power Pack 10Wh

Wireless Headphones
Does not work:

Sort of works:

Does work:
WiGear iMuff BT

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
If you have an aftermarket cd player like I do, then search ebay for an auxilery adapter for your type of cd player. I got one for like $5 installed it in about 10 minutes and now have digital quality music in my car via the headphone jack. Its an easy fix until they release official iPhone docks for your car

cderalow

Jul 17, 2007
If you have an aftermarket cd player like I do, then search ebay for an auxilery adapter for your type of cd player. I got one for like $5 installed it in about 10 minutes and now have digital quality music in my car via the headphone jack. Its an easy fix until they release official iPhone docks for your car

thing being, I'm trying to find a list of readily available universal product.

Even with the auxiliary type adapters for radios, they don't all necessarily work as they are supposed to

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
gives the "put into airplane mode" message? or just doesn't ring at all when docked?
I'd have to check when I get home. When I put it in it gives the standard compatibility message ("this accessory was not made to work with iPhone", or something like that) but it still does work for playing audio (and I presume video, even though I haven't tried it). I am 99% sure it puts it in Airplane Mode" but I don't recall if it specifically says it will do it.

Jul 20, 2007
working accessories.

I went and got a Griffin PowerJolt car charger for my iPhone and it works great but it was driving me crazy not having an interface for my car stereo, so i also got a Griffin iTrip and an extra set of headphones for the iPhone. The plan was to cut the connector off the iTrip and splice in the connector from the iPhone headphones. After looking at the wiring it really didn't look possible, so I cut away at the base of the connector on the iTrip until it fit into the headphone jack on the iPhone. It seems to work just great and i don't need to be in Airplane mode either. There's a slight hum that is not noticeable while driving or listening to music but its nice having 8 gigs of music in my car without having to replace the deck or burn cds.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
EPiX - can you give us a picture of what you did to iTrip? Why do you think you get a hum? Maybe your placement in your car of the iTrip? Thanks in advance.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
gives the "put into airplane mode" message? or just doesn't ring at all when docked?
Here's the message:

"This accessory was not made to work with iPhone

Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode to reduce audio interferance (you will not be able to make or receive calls)?

Yes/No"

Yes obviously puts it in Airplane Mode, but it does work just fine. The iPhone even fits in the dock made for the iPod (video).

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Not a surprise, but the iPod/camera download dongle doesn't work. The "not compatible accessory" message pops up whether a camera is attached to it or not.
:(

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
so when do you think we will start seeing accessories available that are made for the iPhone? I am hoping to someday see:

1. Something to charge and send signal to my car stereo (that has a cradle made specifically for the iPhone, not some universal mount).

2. A clock radio so I can wake up to my favorite songs. It would be ideal if this would allow me to turn my phone on its side to watch video.

3. A car mount designed for the iPhone (not universal) that rotates on its side for video.

I would think that companies would want to get this stuff out by Christmas, but who knows. Perhaps these things are already available and I have just not seen them. If so, please let me know. I want something that just works and doesn't make me turn my phone to airplane mode. I want to enjoy every feature my phone has, and will not buy anything less.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Can someone confirm whether or not a standard iPod USB cable is safe to use with the iPhone? Perhaps point to an official "OK" from Apple? I know it fits, but is it the same voltage?

cderalow

Jul 17, 2007
Can someone confirm whether or not a standard iPod USB cable is safe to use with the iPhone? Perhaps point to an official "OK" from Apple? I know it fits, but is it the same voltage?

USB cables are the same regardless

two data cables, two power cables...

any cable made for the iPod dock should work fine with the iPhone, including most, if not all aftermarket made ones.

though I'd never plug one of those into my iPod, let alone my iPhone...

Apple branded should be fine

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Cant point to an official Apple confirmation, but I use the cable from my wife's iPod on our desktop with the dock. I use the cable that came with the iPhone to charge the device at night. It works as normal for sync'ing.
Also, a third party builder (Microshar headphone amplifiers) who does iPod specific plugs told me the plug/port are the same standard. Hope that helps.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Cant point to an official Apple confirmation, but I use the cable from my wife's iPod on our desktop with the dock. I use the cable that came with the iPhone to charge the device at night. It works as normal for sync'ing.
Also, a third party builder (Microshar headphone amplifiers) who does iPod specific plugs told me the plug/port are the same standard. Hope that helps.
It does, although if someone could post something from Apple confirming this I'd feel a lot more comfortable about it. Thanks. :laugh2:

rafatmit

Jul 23, 2007
The Logitech mm50 iPod speakers work fine. I get the airport-mode prompt. When I say no, the speakers work fine and I can receive calls even when the speakers are playing. Four signal-strength bars, even.