Confirmed: Micro-SIM to Nano-SIM cutting

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Leo, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Hi guys,

Posting this topic to confirm that cutting a Micro-SIM to a Nano-SIM works! I cannot confirm if LTE is working yet, as I can only get 3G out in my area anyways. I'll drive closer to the city after restoring my old phone data to my new iPhone 5 to see if I can still get an LTE connection on my chopped-up Micro-SIM.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

So apparently the SIM card does matter. My chopped-up card only goes up to 3G while my nano-SIM can get LTE.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My Verizon iPhone. Just did this a few minutes ago. The microsim was really easy to cut with scissors.

jbk9T.jpg

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

As far as I know it's not the SIM card; it's the hardware in the phone. This type of unlock does not support LTE, even if LTE is available in the area.

5. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Verizon iPhone 5s come unlocked for use with AT&T using an AT&T nanosim card. You can't access AT&T's LTE network, but everything else is there.

7. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

The phone is locked to Bell, a Canadian carrier with LTE. The SIM card attempted was a Bell Micro-SIM. They don't sell CDMA-enabled iPhones in Canada, as all carriers are GSM, and are all on the same frequencies that the iPhone can use.