CONFIRMED New SIM card Works ACTIVATION!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Ok everyone,

Those of you that were following my posts, I was an existing ATT customer, which was going on 20 hours of non-activation.

The last message I got was to receive the confirmation email, but I ended up never getting the email and was subsequently never activated.

I can CONFIRM that getting a new SIM card works. HOWEVER, you must specify to the ATT reps that you want the SIM card for the iPhone, NOT just any regular SIM card.

I went through the same activation process and was IMMEDIATELY ACTIVATED. I had ZERO wait, the phone showed it was "being activated" and now I am activated.

Apparently, those of us that overloaded the servers last night, caused us to go into a neverending activation loop. Most likely, you will never see an activation until you get another iPhone SIM card.

I'll keep this thread going with anything new. I was apprehensive about getting a new sim card because of duplicate charges etc, but when you activate correctly, it just dumps the previous activation with no charges.

I hope this thread helps you all. The other threads were getting a bit off topic.

Reply here if you need help. I'll do the best can to help.

Take care.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Did AT&T tell you the previous charges would be dropped?

Yes they did. I called them back on the phone, and they didn't even see record of my previous activation. I told them that if I am charged again, to put notes on my account for a future credit, but she had said she didn't even see the first activation any longer.

I would recommend doing the same and put ATT on speakerphone just for your own piece of mind.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
As far as I know, there is only one type of SIM card. The SIM card even says 3G on it and the iPhone doesn't even have it. They are universal. Can you take a picture of this iphone-specific SIM?

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
As far as I know, there is only one type of SIM card. The SIM card even says 3G on it and the iPhone doesn't even have it. They are universal. Can you take a picture of this iphone-specific SIM?

Well, you are probably right. I think there are normal "non 3G Sim Cards"

The iPhone SIM card or 3G Sim card should have the ATT logo, be all blue on the front and back.

We are probably talking about the same SIM cards.

Denny Crane

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Bosco115 is correct. I watched them take my previous SIM card out of the iPhone, and watched the new one go in. They were identical in the way that they looked. FWIW, I am still waiting on the confirmation email with the second SIM card. This is crappy service and I am not sure who to blame, AT&T or Apple.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I used a generic NEW SIM from an AT&T and it was up and running in five minutes. Thanks for the tip guys! It's activated finally!

MandyCh1ck

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Changed the SIM, worked for me! It was like a completely new activation experience, saw messages I hadn't seen before! The email came right away, after all the verifying crap it took seconds.

Here was my situation:
In Tallahassee, FL First email received at 7:30pm yesterday. SIM worked in old phone but not in iPhone. Existing AT&T customer.

If your situation is anything like this, go get a SIM, i wish i would have sooner.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Changed the SIM, worked for me! It was like a completely new activation experience, saw messages I hadn't seen before! The email came right away, after all the verifying crap it took seconds.

Here was my situation:
In Tallahassee, FL First email received at 7:30pm yesterday. SIM worked in old phone but not in iPhone. Existing AT&T customer.

If your situation is anything like this, go get a SIM, i wish i would have sooner.

Glad this helped. From some of the posts, it isn't working for everyone. Alot of people are reporting success, though.

Good luck. Msg me if you all need anything.

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Hey I've got a question...I had to drive an hour to the nearest AT&T store that was gonna have the iPhone but there are other small Cingular/AT&T stores in the city I live in. Did anyone have this sort of situation and get a new SIM card at a smaller store because that would be a lot easier

ximermot

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
they're probably gonna have the correct sim card but they're not likely to give it to you. I had to pay $20 for mine.

BruddaMan

Jul 1, 2007
I was having the same problem with activation but all I did was turn my phone off for about 5 minutes then turn it back on and it was activated.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I was having the same problem with activation but all I did was turn my phone off for about 5 minutes then turn it back on and it was activated.

I am disappointed to see that a new SIM card is not working for everyone. Alot of people are reporting success with that method though.

I called ATT back and again they did NOT even show a record of my first activation/attempt, so that is good news. Individual mileage may vary, I would call just to make sure.

I don't blame people for being pissed off. Some are going on 29 plus hours. That is just bs.

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Ok so its just an ordinary GSM card? They should have that at the Cingular/AT&T franchise stores in my town then shouldn't they? Otherwise I have to drive to a city that is an hour away like I did to get the iPhone on Friday...I would much rather drive around the corner to the little Cingular store here if I could. Please someone with any information about this let me know quickly cause I have work later today

Jun 24, 2007
I'm also in the same boat. Going on about 42 hours. I just got off the phone with an EXTREMELY helpful CSR. She went through about an hour and a half of troubleshooting with me, fixing a zip code error and another minor error. This was after I got a new SIM. Went to activate and still got the same response. She then got on the phone with an Apple rep who told her that I should bring the phone in to be looked at as there are rare cases of the phone not being provisioned correctly from the manufacturer. In this case the 1APL was not provisioned correctly (have no idea what that is). I'm going to the Apple Store tonight and let you guys know how it works out. This is brutal.