Confuse iOS into ditching its animations (no jailbreak required)

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven't tried it yet, but this article promises a newly discovered method to confuse the operating system into ditching its animations.

Update: I have now tried it and it does indeed work. Does it feel faster now? Yes, I believe it does.

#1 Rafagon, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd definitely use this if I were stock (if it can survive a reboot), but I already have my animations disabled through my jailbreak. @Rafagon, did you check if a reboot kills it? A lot of these stock tricks are disabled after a reboot, which makes them fairly worthless.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The article (all the way at the end) did say that you can restart your device to get everything back to normal, but I haven't personally tested that yet.

It will take a couple of seconds to get the trick working again after a reboot. For me, that's okay, because I usually only end up rebooting once a week at most.

I also tried turning "Reduce Motion" off in the settings, and that works well, since it returns the nice, subtle animations to the stock Weather app, but iOS remains animation-less everywhere else.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Sometimes I wonder if these tricks were actually placed in the OS by Apple intentionally. Maybe for in-house testing purposes, or perhaps for corporate VIP users who want these customization options, and maybe Apple wants to make those people happy, but doesn't want the rest of the world to have access to them. Who knows?!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I doubt it. I think it's just another bug. Apple fixes them when they are made aware. Testing would be done on the betas. People who want customization are better off jailbreaking, including VIPs. It's a lot more valuable when a simple reboot doesn't disable everything.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Nifty little trick, thanks for posting. (y) The stock weather app animations are the only thing I miss when reduce motion is turned on, that's cool they still work with this trick. I just hope I remember how to do this when I reboot my iPhone. :D

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This didn't work on my phone.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's weird. We have the same phone, you and I. Even the same Samsung-built A9 inside! :D

And you're on iOS 9.2.1, correct?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tred it a few times to be certain you did the steps correctly?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are the only thing I miss as well. I can't imagine that many people having been annoyed with them, so I was surprised that Apple disabled them with Reduce Motion a year or so ago. It was nice when they used to work with Reduce Motion on.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have. Maybe I don't do it enough times. It says 20 times. I did 22 the last time.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The article said the amount of times required can vary from device to device, but it's somewhere around twenty. If you are on 9.2.1, it should work. I'd try it again and pull down Spotlight about thirty times, giving the Assistive Touch circle time to move above the keyboard each time.

13. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I didn't count how many times it took for it to work for me, but it was more than twenty.

14. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Worked first time for me on latest beta of 9.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Oh I might have to stop using it. I could get used to this!

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

This morning my iPhone asked me to enter my passcode instead of the normal Touch ID unlock. I didn't restart it myself, but it seems to restart itself occasionally. I went about the process of activating this handy bug by turning on Assistive Touch and swiping to invoke Spotlight, etc. After about thirty swipes it still wasn't working and I was getting confused. Then I realized the assistive touch button was not all the way in the bottom right corner. It was only off a little bit but it was enough to prevent the trick from working. After I moved the button all the way back into the corner it worked in about ten swipes.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into the same problem. This is the fourth time I've used this process and the only time I've had this issue. The other times the Assistive Touch button remained where I had put it last time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Are you sure it's from restarting? I know if I check my lockscreen 5 times early mornings without opening the phone, I have to enter the code.

18. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

B
    Well, the message on the lock screen says something to the effect of "iPhone requires a passcode after restarting." I'm not sure if it restarted or not. This subject was discussed in another thread not too long ago but I don't recall which one and I'm too lazy to look it up. :)

Edit: I just did a hard reset and it says the same thing it said this morning: Touch ID requires a passcode to unlock the phone after restarting.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the passcode bug is quite common and spontaneous reboots occur occasionally on iOS, but I think the reason he mentioned it was to point out how important placement of Assistive Touch is when going through the process of disabling animations. He just happened to notice it while redoing it after the reboot. You said that you couldn't get them disabled and this could be why. Have you tried it again?

20. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Exactly right :)