confused about A2DP?

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Do you not need A2DP to stream music from your iPhone to your cars stereo with a FM transmitter?

Or is it just not in stereo?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Do you not need A2DP to stream music from your iPhone to your cars stereo with a FM transmitter?

Or is it just not in stereo?
No you can use an fm transmitter and it will work fine. I use a Griffin iTrip Autopilot and it works okay. FM transmitters aren't the best because in any city of normal size you have almost too much interference. Really the best way is to have some sort of auxilary input to your car stereo. Many new car stereos have these inputs.

A2DP on the other hand is a bluetooth profile that allows for stereo signals to be transmitted by bluetooth to headphones and stereos. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn't support A2DP so it can't transfer stereo music by bluetooth signals.

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
No you can use an fm transmitter and it will work fine. I use a Griffin iTrip Autopilot and it works okay. FM transmitters aren't the best because in any city of normal size you have almost too much interference. Really the best way is to have some sort of auxilary input to your car stereo. Many new car stereos have these inputs.

A2DP on the other hand is a bluetooth profile that allows for stereo signals to be transmitted by bluetooth to headphones and stereos. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn't support A2DP so it can't transfer stereo music by bluetooth signals.
What about this item?
http://shopper.cnet.com/headsets/motorola-s9-headphones-w/4014-13831_9-32672607.html

EEZ123

Sep 6, 2007

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Actually it can support A2DP as it is bluetooth 2.0. However Apple chose not to activate it, however hopefully someone can get creative and activate it.

Ed
Well, if it isn't activated then it isn't supported.:p

EEZ123

Sep 6, 2007
Well, if it isn't activated then it isn't supported.:p

Yes you are correct. I should have worded it differently. It is capable of A2DP profile, but not supported.

Ed:oops:

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
okay i went out and bought a fm transmitter and sure anough it works whatever is playing on my iPhone plays on my cars speakers.

I also bought a bluetooth fm transmitter and it does not work for playing music but it should work for calls shouldnt it?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
okay i went out and bought a fm transmitter and sure anough it works whatever is playing on my iPhone plays on my cars speakers.
It should work for calls.
Are you in a large city? I have been looking at these transmitters and wonder if there is too much interference among the stations to find one that works with the device.

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
It should work for calls.
Are you in a large city? I have been looking at these transmitters and wonder if there is too much interference among the stations to find one that works with the device.
I live in a small city. I did get it to work and also found a device that Adds Bluetooth AD2P to the iPhone.

Took a lot of work for such a popular phone.

Thanks for the help!

EEZ123

Sep 6, 2007
I live in a small city. I did get it to work and also found a device that Adds Bluetooth AD2P to the iPhone.

Took a lot of work for such a popular phone.

Thanks for the help!
What did you find that will add A2DP? I would be interested in it if it did not add too much bulk to the iPhone. Thanks

Ed