Confused About Buying AppleCare from Amazon.com

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kadelic, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I bought my 15" MBP at the end of November last year with the intention of getting the extended AppleCare warranty for it before the original warranty expires. I've seen a lot of folks on eiC recommend purchasing AppleCare from Amazon at a discount rate but I'm a little confused about how it works. First off, I'm assuming the "new" version applies to the recently updated model and that the "old" version would apply to mine. Is that correct? For the old version I see prices ranging from about $265 to about $295 depending on the seller. All the sellers have about the same rating (upper 90%) so I would naturally go for the cheapest, right? My main question is how the AppleCare I buy from a third party becomes linked to my particular MBP so that Apple will honor any warranty service that may be necessary after the initial year lapses. I apologize if this has been covered previously and appreciate any feedback on the matter :)

Edit: Can someone also explain how third parties can offer this at a discounted rate?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Trying one more time...

3. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I know u want it for MBP, but I have bought 3 Apple cares off eBay for iPhone 4s at half price. Still sealed in package. They are same as from the store. You just open and use the AppleCare serial with your product for your warranty just like from the store. They don't know where you bought it from. Hope this helps.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

B & H has Applecare for my new 13.3 rMBP for $174.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10582542&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

A anybody know any reason I wound't do that instead of playing $349 from Apple? Seems it's auto enroll and everything? Maybe @Europa has done this in the past?

BTW, WiFi works perfectly but then again I haven't transferred data yet which hopefully won't screw anything up!

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm just about at my one year anniversary and want to purchase Apple Care. When I go to check my warranty status, it asks me to sign in and validate. When I sign in, nothing changes. How do I validate my purchase date with Apple if I purchased my MacBook Pro at Best Buy?

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well I don't know Chris. I always buy my stuff at the Apple store.

I think I am going to buy Applecare from B & H though. 50% discount ain't bad.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I was able to add it to my list of devices. It allowed me to add the serial number and purchase date. I just purchased Apple Care from Amazon for $244, with free 2-day shipping thanks to Prime. This will allow me to get coverage before January 3rd, which is the anniversary of my purchase. Love this thing and this gives me some peace of mind should something fail.

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Good job Chris.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I hate dropping $250, but I've heard these can be super expensive to fix. Much rather spend $250 than a thousand.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

@chris I'm a little confused about what it is you're doing. Can you elaborate? I'm just thinking of buying Apple Care from B & H. Is that a big deal? Just get it and register it according to the instructions. What is this you're talking about "breaking something"? :confused:

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple had no record of my MacBook Pro. I knew that I purchased it earlier this year on January 3rd. In order to extend my warranty, I needed to update Apple's records and purchase Apple Care. I've made Apple aware of my MacBook Pro by adding it to my profile. For that I needed my serial number and purchase date. I have no idea how that happens and why it was so easy. I'm guessing there must be some database on their end. I should get my Apple Care package today from Amazon. I'll let you know how it goes when I add it my MacBook Pro.

As for B&H, they are a great and reputable dealer. I would have zero concerns about ordering through them. For me, I had free shipping through Prime, so opted for that. The auto-enroll feature offered at B&H seems easy. My concern was that Apple initially didn't have a record of my purchase. For that reason, I wanted a physical copy of Apple Care. In an absolute worse case scenario, I can visit an Apple Store before January 3rd, should they need to inspect my MBP and see the receipt before adding Apple Care.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Thanks for the clarification.

I plan on doing this right away even though I don't have to. It's a 50% discount through B & H ($174 vs $349).

I have all the receipts and packaging so shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Weird, I viewed my warranty coverage and it says it was not eligible under 1 year warranty. I added Apple Care and it changed to covered under 1 year warranty and Apple Care registration was 'in progress'. From what I've read, it can take a few days to receive confirmation and a contract. I'm putting everything into my MacBook Pro box, should I need it. Hopefully, I'll have two more years of trouble-free service.