Confused about how app updates work?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'm pretty confused. On iTunes i checked for available updates and found several. I downloaded them and the connected my phone to my computer. I didn't know what to do next...so i removed all the apps from my phone and then resynced them. Did i resync the updated versions? I'm confused because Trism still says version 1.0, even though it was one of my apps that said it was updated. Help? Also none of the updates showed in the app store, so thats why i was doing it through iTunes.

Thanks guys

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I find it better to update through the app store on the iPhone. That's the only way I've done it, and have had no problems (yet).

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I'm pretty confused. On iTunes i checked for available updates and found several. I downloaded them and the connected my phone to my computer. I didn't know what to do next...so i removed all the apps from my phone and then resynced them. Did i resync the updated versions? I'm confused because Trism still says version 1.0, even though it was one of my apps that said it was updated. Help? Also none of the updates showed in the app store, so thats why i was doing it through iTunes.

Thanks guys
Click the "check for updates" again, and resync, you shoul be good to go.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Honda, only a couple of the programs said they had updates in the app store. Those worked fine, but trism and aim etc...didn't show up, so thats why i went through iTunes.

And, knight, if i've already downloaded the updates...

Maybe you could just describe the process you go through when your updating through iTunes: like, describe "first you search for available updates, then you downloaded..."

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Ok..try hooking up your iPhone to iTunes, and click file, then click transfer purchases to iPhone, that should put everything you bought back on to the iPhone, then check for update again and sync.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
check for updates, download whats available and then sync apps im assuming?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Yeah, I just via iTunes and had several updates, so I d/l'd them and synced, badda boom badda bing!
Makes perfect sense, but i just feel like it isn't working for because in the case of trism. I downloaded the update, resynced (by removing them apps then adding them back in) and i still have version 1.0...unless the developer didn't change it when he released the update.

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
I see a lot of my apps show up with a new current date. They are usually a new version. However, when I click download updates from phone or iTunes it says all apps up to date yet the version in the store is newer then what I have?

Looks like they are putting updated applications up as a new app with a new date thus the original version isn't updateed.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I sync whenever I add things. I've noticed if I sync periodically after adding numerous events, apps, etc. it makes the backups take much longer than if I stay on top of it whenever I add things.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I'm having issue with the update app. I would download it and it's suppose to install them. I go and look in my phone and it's not installed, I have to update mine again through the phone. Maybe my phone is just screwy as I'm having other issues as well, like missing apps, and songs.