Confused about upgrading V1 iPhone to 3G

JohnSD

Jul 12, 2007
I've been reading about upgrading an existing iPhone to 3G and I'm confused. There were directions to download and install the latest iTunes (for WIN). Did that. Sync the phone. Did that. I see no change on my phone. I do see the App Store on iTunes. What am I missing? My phone is version 1.1.4 vanilla, no hacks, and I have a legal ATT plan. Do I have to upgrade my ATT plan or something? I don't understand why that would be necessary for an OS /software upgrade?

I realize I might not get the full functionality on an old phone, but I would KILL to get the search function; that omission has almost caused me to throw out the iPhone.

What I'm reading is confusing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
In your iPhone menu, look for where it says "Check for Update"
Click that button and when it tells you there's an update available, let it update. It might take 10 minutes or so but just be patient.

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
You can't upgrade an iPhone to 3G. You can upgrade the firmware to 2.0 through iTunes. To get 3G you will have to go buy the new iPhone.

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
don't do it...i regret selling my iPhone and buying the 3g

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
You couldn't pay me to give up my v1 iPhone right now. With firmware 2.0 I have everything I've needed for a while now, plus a better LCD screen and a thinner profile. I don't have 3G coverage, as most people don't... and I have no use for GPS.

If I didn't already have an iPhone I would be all over the 3G. But since I have a beautiful v1 with a metal case (vs. that ugly plastic) I'm not going to give it up any time soon. :)

JohnSD

Jul 12, 2007
Thanks all. I tried the upgrade again and it worked. Not sure why it didn't work before. I'm not about to trade in my old iPhone for a 3G. It doesn't offer me anything I need, as far as I can see.

Thanks for the help.

John

JohnSD

Jul 12, 2007
I take it back. They STILL haven't added a search to the calendar?! What kind of freakin morons are designing this? For one solid year I've had to page through my contacts to find one I wasn't quite sure of. They finally added a search. For that same year, if I knew I had a doctor's appointment sometime next month, I had to go through day by day to find it, and I CANNOT FREAKIN BELIEVE they haven't fixed that! They're so busy adding games that they don't add the most basic tools for a functional pda. I am outraged.

John

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I take it back. They STILL haven't added a search to the calendar?! What kind of freakin morons are designing this? For one solid year I've had to page through my contacts to find one I wasn't quite sure of. They finally added a search. For that same year, if I knew I had a doctor's appointment sometime next month, I had to go through day by day to find it, and I CANNOT FREAKIN BELIEVE they haven't fixed that! They're so busy adding games that they don't add the most basic tools for a functional pda. I am outraged.

John
I guess it's time to sell it on eBay and get a MotoQ or perhaps a Blackberry. Why deal with the frustration of such a crappy phone dude, let someone else deal with it!

:laugh2: