Confused about WiFi/Cingular

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iDiot

Oct 23, 2007
Hi folks,

I just bought a brand new iPhone this morning and I was wondering what the deal is with Wifi. If I use the internet from other networks, ie my own wireless network, do I get charged for it? If anyone can explain to me what I'll get charged for, I'd be forever grateful.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hi folks,

I just bought a brand new iPhone this morning and I was wondering what the deal is with Wifi. If I use the internet from other networks, ie my own wireless network, do I get charged for it? If anyone can explain to me what I'll get charged for, I'd be forever grateful.
Your iPhone plan includes unlimited data. You will not be charged extra for using wifi or EDGE for internet. Your plan may only include 200 text messages though.

iDiot

Oct 23, 2007
Your iPhone plan includes unlimited data. You will not be charged extra for using wifi or EDGE for internet. Your plan may only include 200 text messages though.
I don't have an unlimited data plan. Lets say I open Safari and surf the web or use the maps function, am I getting charged for anything?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't have an unlimited data plan. Lets say I open Safari and surf the web or use the maps function, am I getting charged for anything?
Is your phone unlocked? All the ATT plans include data so I do not understand. My iPhone is actually the 2nd line in my old Cingular family plan so I just changed my BB 29.99 data to $20 iPhone data. But that is not what you asked. If you are on EDGE you will be charged. On Safari/wi-fi, I would think you would not be charged since you are not on a phone line...

iDiot

Oct 23, 2007
Is your phone unlocked? All the ATT plans include data so I do not understand. My iPhone is actually the 2nd line in my old Cingular family plan so I just changed my BB 29.99 data to $20 iPhone data. But that is not what you asked. If you are on EDGE you will be charged. On Safari/wi-fi, I would think you would not be charged since you are not on a phone line...
The phone is not unlocked, but I found out that you can turn the EDGE feature off so you can just work on Wifi. Doesn't cost you a dime if you're not using EDGE.

Beachlly

Nov 16, 2007
Yes it does, thanks for your help!
Hi iDiot - how did you disable Edge? I am going to be traveling in parts of Asia and I don't want to risk a super pricey bill because of data.

Also - how did you buy the iPhone without having to buy the data plan?

Thanks for your help

iDiot

Oct 23, 2007
Hi iDiot - how did you disable Edge? I am going to be traveling in parts of Asia and I don't want to risk a super pricey bill because of data.

Also - how did you buy the iPhone without having to buy the data plan?

Thanks for your help
I had to purchase the data plan, but the phone will prompt you before using the edge network.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't think you fully understand. Turning edge off on your phone does just that... It won't let you connect unless you're on wifi. However, you're still paying your $20/mo regardless. So you might as well leave it on and get your Internet anywhere that you're paying for...

raju05

Nov 28, 2007
Hi folks,

Hey, it would be utterly impossible and chaotic if AT&T began charging for Wifi, seeing as they can't monitor Wifi usage and because the Ipod touch and many other media players offer you the same great Wifi free of charge. So in conclusion, you will not be charged for using the Wifi without the data plan, seeing as how useless the b/g wireless card would become.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If you aren't using AT&T bandwith (Wi-Fi), how would they possibly know what to charge you?

Also, if you have a data plan for the iPhone you have unlimited edge use so if you "turn it off" you are throwing $20 out the window every month.

raju05

Nov 28, 2007
If you aren't using AT&T bandwith (Wi-Fi), how would they possibly know what to charge you?

Also, if you have a data plan for the iPhone you have unlimited edge use so if you "turn it off" you are throwing $20 out the window every month.
The Ipod Touch doesn't use the AT&T bandwith Wi-Fi, it uses a 802.11b/g card, which comes standard on most laptops, that or the b/g/n card. That also goes for the iPhone. You aren't using a phone line to connect to Wi-Fi, hence AT&T can't monitor your activities while on Wi-Fi. The only way to monitor your Wi-Fi usage is through the router. Its that simple. Your not charged for your Wi-Fi use on a laptop, unless of course your paying for the service.
In Conclusion, AT&T doesn't offer Wi-Fi! It only offers the EDGE service. The only reason I asked the question about charges on Wi-Fi in the first place is because I hear all these rumors about it, which makes no sense.

Also, your not merely TURNING OFF the EDGE service, your completely removing it from your services. It will not show up on your bill and you don't pay for it.