Connecting a laptop to a TV screen - I need some EIC Wisdom!

cdoyle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Hey, i just recently acquired my laptop for college and it has an hdmi out slot, so i wanted to try and hook it up to my TV so i can browse the EIC forums and listen to music through my TV screen, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to do this. So i thought to myself many of the people here are very tech savvy, so does anyone know to do this or can point me in the right direction, i tried googleing it but nothing really that helpful came up. So any advice or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced! :laugh2:

P.S. I didn't know where else to put this post since none of the other discussion boards matched this topic so i thought general discussion would be the best place to put it, if this needs to be moved please go right ahead and do so.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I think there will need more specifics. But I will try. Probably just an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the computer, then you are going to have to change your display to the newly connected "monitor" being the tv. In the Control Panel>Display, or sometimes there is a shortcut on the keyboard . Then set the tv to the proper input to whatever HDMI input you put it in.

Hope this helps a little.

cdoyle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i can for sure give some more specifics, i have an 1080p hdtv, and i already have the cable, now when i connect them and i use the shortcut on my keyboard, it will pop up on the tv but the sound will not go through to the tv speakers and the resolution is soo out of whack i cant see anything. And i tried to going into setting and changing the display size of the tv but it usually wont even do anything. I was so excited to use my tv as a computer monitor, but im getting so sad that its so complicated i thought it would be so much easier. Just so you know idk if this is important im running windows vista (64-bit).

P.S. Would it just be easier to get like a pc input cable for the tv?

cdoyle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
anyone got any advice?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I have to use a laptop to monitor for work on a daily basis and the best thing for you to do is get yourself hooked up with s-video. If you don't have this slot already on your laptop, (its a circular plug), then get one via USB adapter. Almost ALL TVs worth a crap have s-video already.
right click on your desktop and navigate to your settings properties to make sure your laptop will enable the xtra montitor output. It might already be set up that way to work. Reboot with the cord attached and your in like Flynn!