Connecting to car speakers?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Im not sure if its duable but i figured id ask, i drive semis and our trucks have these +/- connections on the dash where you can hook up your own car CD player to the trucks speakers without taking the dash apart to try to reach to the wires. Same connection clips that are found on the back of box speakers or boom boxes where they have a black and a red +/- clips with holes.

Anyways, because i was thinking about connecting an fm transmitter to the iPhone and playing it over the truck speakers but i drive from city to city so its a pain to keep readjusting staions in different areas so im wondering if there is a way to use headphones phone jack, plug it into the iPhone and split the wires somehow to connect them to the +/- ?

since headphones seem to have one wire going to the left and one going to the right i don't know if its possible to have it split to a +/- for left and right speakers?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
IF you got an extension cable that fit the iPhone recessed jack, then you can strip the other end and make it work for the stereo in your truck.
There should be 3 wires when you strip off one end. Left pos, right Pos, and a ground wire that they both use.
You need to solder 2 black wires to the ground so that they will split to each of the + and - terminals. You'll have to play around with which one is left and right, but it should be a fairly easy modification.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Even, if you don't have a recessed cable, you can make one with any old cable and a pocket knife. that's what i did, and it works great!

Last edited by a moderator:

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
finding the right jack that will fit seems like would be a pain with 3 wires to be able to split, anyone know what i can cut the wire from that would have the right size jack and 3 wires?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
i went to an electronics store and asked them if they have something that i can use and split it into a +/- to be able to connect but they couldnt help me, and i talked to like 5 different guys. Where can i find a cord like this with 3 wires inside? it can be just a jack extension cord? im a little confused

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Technically it should be 3 wires by default.
1 for the positive left channel and 1 for the positive right channel. They share the ground ( common ground). if you find one with 4 wires, then there is one ground for each channel and you don't have to split it as I recommended above.
If it's 4 wires, then you just have to figure out which is the positive and which is the negative, and for which channel. Since they are low voltage, it will not cause any problems if you get them wrong while trying to figure it out. I can tell you that generally, the positive wires will have a "coating" on them, and the negative wire(s) will be bare.( if more than 1 negative wire, then there will be 2 layers surrounding the center of the cord)

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Technically it should be 3 wires by default.
1 for the positive left channel and 1 for the positive right channel. They share the ground ( common ground). if you find one with 4 wires, then there is one ground for each channel and you don't have to split it as I recommended above.
If it's 4 wires, then you just have to figure out which is the positive and which is the negative, and for which channel. Since they are low voltage, it will not cause any problems if you get them wrong while trying to figure it out. I can tell you that generally, the positive wires will have a "coating" on them, and the negative wire(s) will be bare.( if more than 1 negative wire, then there will be 2 layers surrounding the center of the cord)
ok so a jack extension cord inside will have just one bare and one wrapped? what usually uses 2 positives and one ground or like you said if i find 4 wires then it will be much easier, but what has 4 wires as well?

for example i have headphones laying right nere, they 2 wires, one wire going to left ear and one going to right year, does this mean each wire has 2 inside +/- ?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
...for example i have headphones laying right nere, they 2 wires, one wire going to left ear and one going to right ear, does this mean each wire has 2 inside +/- ?
Yes. You HAVE to have a positive and a negative for each channel.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Yes. You HAVE to have a positive and a negative for each channel.
yes you are right, kinda how all electronics work lol, im just being a newb thats all :) so i can dig up some older headphones somewhere around here and split both end od the eat piece and give that a shot.