Connecting to iPod via WinSCP (SSH)

t0pz

Feb 14, 2008
Hi, I'm running Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio PC and I'm trying to access my iPod Touch via Wifi, using the WinSCP program (so i can jailbreak my iPod touch to 1.1.3.)
My problem is that i get the "Network Error: Connection Timed Out". Now, i have a pretty good idea that this is because my PC and my iPod touch cant find each other on the wifi network.
First off, i want to clarify if they both do indeed have to be on the same network..?! Because in my case, i can't connect to the same network with two devices at the same time. Do i need a router that shares one wireless network with multiple devices so i can connect to it with my PC AND my iPod touch?
Is there any other way to connect to it, maybe via direct connection (from my PC to iPod directly)?

Is there any jailbreak method without having to connect to the iPod?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry for any questions that may have already been answered. I haven't found anything regarding my problem here

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Hi, I'm running Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio PC and I'm trying to access my iPod Touch via Wifi, using the WinSCP program (so i can jailbreak my iPod touch to 1.1.3.)
My problem is that i get the "Network Error: Connection Timed Out". Now, i have a pretty good idea that this is because my PC and my iPod touch cant find each other on the wifi network.
First off, i want to clarify if they both do indeed have to be on the same network..?! Because in my case, i can't connect to the same network with two devices at the same time. Do i need a router that shares one wireless network with multiple devices so i can connect to it with my PC AND my iPod touch?
Is there any other way to connect to it, maybe via direct connection (from my PC to iPod directly)?

Is there any jailbreak method without having to connect to the iPod?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry for any questions that may have already been answered. I haven't found anything regarding my problem here
i thought you couldn't connect to the iPhone/iPod touch UNTIL you had jailbroken the phone. if i understand correctly, there's no way you can get into the phone until you've jailbroken it.

t0pz

Feb 14, 2008
i thought you couldn't connect to the iPhone/iPod touch UNTIL you had jailbroken the phone. if i understand correctly, there's no way you can get into the phone until you've jailbroken it.
well, i haven't gotten IN to it yet. Thats the problem. I bought the ipod touch and it was already jailbroken to version 1.1.2. Now im TRYING to jailbreak it to 1.1.3. but i can't connect to it via SSH. I can connect fine to wifi hotspots.. etc.

just need the manual access from my computer to the ipod... :mad:

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
wait so your 1.1.2 jailbroken....? if so use the installer app to install the dev. team update to 1.1.3... no need to ssh into it from there but make sure that you got the same wireless network by checking the names first... then make sure you have the right ip for winscp... my iPhone has a different ip almost everytime i walk into my house lol :) write back here if u need more help i can probably help even tho im on the phone and not the touch...

t0pz

Feb 14, 2008
wait so your 1.1.2 jailbroken....? if so use the installer app to install the dev. team update to 1.1.3... no need to ssh into it from there but make sure that you got the same wireless network by checking the names first... then make sure you have the right ip for winscp... my iPhone has a different ip almost everytime i walk into my house lol :) write back here if u need more help i can probably help even tho im on the phone and not the touch...
thank u for your reply,
i jailbroke my ipod to 1.1.3 a while ago, using the installer app. That took forever though. But i really do still want to figure out how to SSH into my ipod. Because at some point i will have to transfer files in or out of it.
i always check the IP of my iPod but i couldnt get on the same wireless network with both, my laptop, and my iPod touch.
At some point, i got it to work so they would be on the same wifi network, but same crap as before: Timed out
I must be doing something wrong...

1. I turn on wireless on my pc
2. I turn on wifi on my iPod touch
3. i connect to the wireless router, with both, ipod and pc
now question: Does the router have to have internet access at the time of the SSH or can i just have a local network between my devices? because i cant connect to the internet with two devices, via my router.
4. i turn on SSH on my iPod
5. i open WinSCP, enter the iPod's IP and the password (are there any other passwords maybe?)
6. i click connect, after 30 secs it says Network Error: Timed Out

am i missing anything? what could it be?

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
thank u for your reply,
i jailbroke my ipod to 1.1.3 a while ago, using the installer app. That took forever though. But i really do still want to figure out how to SSH into my ipod. Because at some point i will have to transfer files in or out of it.
i always check the IP of my iPod but i couldnt get on the same wireless network with both, my laptop, and my iPod touch.
At some point, i got it to work so they would be on the same wifi network, but same crap as before: Timed out
I must be doing something wrong...

1. I turn on wireless on my pc
2. I turn on wifi on my iPod touch
3. i connect to the wireless router, with both, ipod and pc
now question: Does the router have to have internet access at the time of the SSH or can i just have a local network between my devices? because i cant connect to the internet with two devices, via my router.
4. i turn on SSH on my iPod
5. i open WinSCP, enter the iPod's IP and the password (are there any other passwords maybe?)
6. i click connect, after 30 secs it says Network Error: Timed Out

am i missing anything? what could it be?

Ok well when ever i SSH to my iPhone, i always have internet access but as far as my knowledge takes me the internet has nothing to do with your knowledge.
The program i use is OpenSSH, it keeps the ssh always on and it makes it like bluetooth... stays off until an incoming connection comes then it switches on and works. Also it needs to be the same network... no matter what or its a no go.... You may want to factory reset your ROUTER then connect wirelessly with your laptop and iPod touch.... if that dosnt work write back to me and i will do some research in the mean time on how to set up a wireless network from iPod touch to pc w/o a router :) i know its possible just not sure on how to do the last method :)

Aug 21, 2008
Thailand
Sup?

I have one WiFi connection at work, Where i connect my laptop and my iPod touch.

I It only works somtimes, somtimes i get the "Timed out" I think i might be because the WiFi signal is to Low, ?

Regard

Melon

Nov 9, 2009
Melon the Wise strikes!

I got the solution! It worked for me tough...

On the protocol on WinSCP you are using the SFTP(allow SCP fallback)?
Don't use that, use only the SFTP protocol :)

Then something like hasn't answeard for like 15 secounds pops up, then click Retry and press "yes" on the Warning message that pops up! it should work now!

if it not works, and the message still popping up, just press "reconnect" until it works :)