Connecting to iTunes with Firewire

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jjk454ss

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I got a new cable that has USB and Firewire, I thought I would use the Firewire since I use my USB ports for other devices. Anyway, iTunes doesn't see my iPhone, is there a setting or something I need to change to use Firewire? This is with a Macbook it it matters.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I got a new cable that has USB and Firewire, I thought I would use the Firewire since I use my USB ports for other devices. Anyway, iTunes doesn't see my iPhone, is there a setting or something I need to change to use Firewire? This is with a Macbook it it matters.
Not sure on iPhone, but I have read the ipod touch doesn't work with firewire, unless you are just charging it... ie no syncing I bet the iPhone is similar...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
ipods used to be able to use firewire to sync (up until the 4th generation, iirc) but Apple removed this capability. firewire requires an additional chipset - it's not something that can be enabled with software. my guess is that Apple removed this as the size of ipods decreased, and they realized that most people would use usb anyway (particularly on the pc side). neither the iPhone, ipod touch, nor recent generation ipods have firewire chipsets in them, so you won't be able to sync any of them via firewire...