Considering Moddind My iPhone.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
So I've had my iPhone for a while now and it runs like new.

My friend recently got an iPod touch and modded it and got into all that and I took a look at it and liked the way it looked with all of the game features because I personally like playing games on a phone that I played $400 for.

But I was considering modding my iPhone and was wondering if I could get a few opinions on whether or not that sounds like a good idea. I figured this would be the place to ask because it's an iPhone thread only.

Well thanks for your time.

iCreep.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I've had my iPhone for a while now and it runs like new...

...I personally like playing games on a phone that I played $400 for...

...But I was considering modding my iPhone and was wondering if I could get a few opinions on whether or not that sounds like a good idea...
I like getting the most for my money, too. I'm an obsessive modder really, when it comes to computers.... But my iPhone is stock. Regardless of my reasons, the mere fact that you asked on this forum makes me think that you're not the type of person that really wants to mod your phone. I'm just guessing here.

The fact is, your phone will only get more unstable and unreliable the more you illegally modify it. I think even the most hardcore modder will admit to this. It's the price one is willing to pay to live on the edge, but again... are you willing to put up with such hassles?

Legit 3rd party apps will be here in less than 6 months, so I'm willing to take a "wait and see" attitude with this one. I fully welcome the big boys to step up and plead their case for unlocked freedom. I'm admittedly a bit jealous, but I still love my stock iPhone, so my advice is: play othello or duck hunt in Safari for a couple months.

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah I understand what you mean. And I don't necessarily not want to mod my iPhone I just want to make sure that by doing so I don't do permanent damage because my friend with the iPod touch just does it so casually like you find this stuff laying around.

Personally I'm just worrying about destroying my phone beacuse of the whole "no available insurance" issue that AT&T has going which is total garbage but whatever.

Also I've seen that it takes a lot of upkeep to keep the mods on and I've never modded anything on my own and I definatly don't want to start on my $400 piece of equipment. I just wanted opinions so I can see what other modders or stock iPhone owners think of the idea because if it seems too risky its not going to happen.

iCreep.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Keep the phone for a while and after the dew is off the rose a bit (ie. you start to get bored and frustrated with it) then mod. I did and I'm much more satisfied with the phone now that I feel like it's more 'mine'. The apps out there aren't killer, but better than none, and just having control over the interface appearance means a lot to me. It's not really that difficult to do either. There are posts here and articles on engadget that are pretty clear on what to do. Find one that you are comfortable with and try it. You can then stick with adding things through the easy and slick installer app, or you can start getting jiggy with using SFTP, etc. It's fun and as far as I've heard, restore is always there for you.

Nov 12, 2007
Im like you, i dreaded the fact of breaking my iPhone,
im in the uk and its a bit trickier to jailbreak it on 1.1.2, something about a baseband. lol god knows! lol

I wasn't really sure what i was doing, but i give it ago and i couldnt get it to work, i read half way through, this doesn't work for uk phones, GREAT! lol

so i just went into iTunes and clicked restore, and it went back to 1.1.2 uk
perfectly not a problem, n then i had another go lol

so there really isn't much worry in my opinion, i just had another go with these instructions http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837 and now i have 1.1.2 jailbroken uk.

Even my nan could follow these instructions :D

so i have 1.1.2 with loads of apps, its running the same speed and everything. cant see no difference between unjailbroke and not apart from the luvly things

Woodzey

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
Im like you, i dreaded the fact of breaking my iPhone,
im in the uk and its a bit trickier to jailbreak it on 1.1.2, something about a baseband. lol god knows! lol

I wasn't really sure what i was doing, but i give it ago and i couldnt get it to work, i read half way through, this doesn't work for uk phones, GREAT! lol

so i just went into iTunes and clicked restore, and it went back to 1.1.2 uk
perfectly not a problem, n then i had another go lol

so there really isn't much worry in my opinion, i just had another go with these instructions http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837 and now i have 1.1.2 jailbroken.

Even my nan could follow these instructions :D

so i just have 1.0.2 atm with loads of apps, its running the same speed and everything. cant see no difference between 1.0.2 and 1.1.2 if you ask me lol

Woodzey
You can do the same thing using 1.1.1, then upgrade to 1.1.2 and jailbreak it pretty easily, since you already know how to downgrade.

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
Well thank you all for your opinions I appreciate it. Well I think I'm going to give it a shot and thank you Woodzey for the instructions on how to do so. I'm pretty sure I won't mess it up and if worst comes to worst I can just always restore seeing as I always back my data up on iTunes.

Well as I said before thanks for the opinions. And now for another question. In your guy's opinion what is the most efficient and simple
modding program?

iCreep.