Considering purchase of MacBook Pro, need Windows 8.1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've been looking at the MacBook for a while now. Best Buy have it for $899.99 and I'm seriously considering it.

Once all setup, I want to install Windows 8.1, too. Working in IT, I only support Windows and Windows Servers. So having Windows installed is paramount.

I was thinking about the MacBook Air, but that lacks long term use and expansion, no?

Any thoughts?

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've been looking at the MacBook for a while now. Best Buy have it for $899.99 and I'm seriously considering it.

Once all setup, I want to install Windows 8.1, too. Working in IT, I only support Windows and Windows Servers. So having Windows installed is paramount.

I was thinking about the MacBook Air, but that lacks long term use and expansion, no?

Any thoughts?
I currently own a MacBook Pro and it's perfect for my needs. I'd recommend an upgrade to 8gb RAM either way that you decide to go. One selling point for the Air is extended battery life. It's rated between 10 and13 hours. The MBP is between 7 and 10 hours.

As for installing Windows 8.1, I'd get Parallels. If you're after performance, go with the MBP and if you want extra battery life and half a pound lighter, go with MBA.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Update: I returned the MacBook Pro Retina. Hard drive is simply too small, switched to a MacBook Pro i5, 500GB, but only 4GB memory. Don't worry, I'm upgrading that this week or next.

I looked really, really close at the Surface Pro 3, but I want to install a couple VM's for work. The MacBook will probably do the job better. It is in the process of upgrading to the latest update...

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Update: I returned the MacBook Pro Retina. Hard drive is simply too small, switched to a MacBook Pro i5, 500GB, but only 4GB memory. Don't worry, I'm upgrading that this week or next.

I looked really, really close at the Surface Pro 3, but I want to install a couple VM's for work. The MacBook will probably do the job better. It is in the process of upgrading to the latest update...
Yeah. I just sold a MacBook in the store today with a 500GB. You can't ever have enough storage. Most consumers seem to be satisfIed with a 256GB. It's a solid state drive so really a win-win. There is also a model with 16GB for $1899-256 and $2374-512. I'm not sure if you got to check those out.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I did, thanks. The price is the killer for me. Even with me trading in my iPad Air, I still had to pay quite a bit...