Considering switching to iPhone!

shadrap

Jun 14, 2009
Ok, I am new these forums, but have been a regular poster in others. I am just wondering what your honest thoughts are to help me make a decision.

I currently have the Palm Pre, no doubt, it is the best phone on the Sprint Network. It has lived up to the hype, but for some reason I can't help thinking about the iPhone. I know that it doesn't multitask. I could probably deal with that. I know AT&T cost more, but I would be willing to pay for it if it is truly superior. I like that the iPhone has numerous apps available, great build quality, and can be used in so many ways with lots of aftermarket items.

My main concern is AT&T. Does the iPhone still experience the reception and dropped call issues? Does anyone know how it performs in middle North Carolina? Is the new iPhone going to have email notifications and will it come through as received?

I know "some" will be tempted to give fanish answers, but I seriously need honest input.

Thanks in advance for constructive information.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I ported my Sprint number to AT&T last year to get an iPhone and I'm very glad that I did. It's the best phone available IMO. I had a bit of a problem with dropped calls shortly after getting the phone, but an Apple FW update fixed that long ago. The unlimited plans on AT&T are more expensive than Sprint, but if you don't need unlimited minutes and text, I think the prices are pretty comparable.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
My personal experience with AT&T has been mostly positive, with great reception and very few dropped calls. Their calling plans could use some price modifications, though.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the iPhone being "superior" over the Palm Pre is a matter of opinion only. We all know too well you can't solely use "specs" as a standard to determine superiority if the OS is sluggish and unresponsive. Are you sure you don't have a friend or a coworker who has an iPhone? If they do, ask them if you can try it out and then make the decision for yourself. However, I have to warn you as I know how often I get "used to" certain devices and then have to migrate to different ones, how I miss features that the former had which the latter doesn't. I think going from the Palm Pre may frustrate you, but then again, that's all a matter of personal preference anyway.

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I personally have had no problems here in New York, but NC might be different. Palm is figuratively coming out of the ruins so I'd go for the iPhone.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I think the iPhone being "superior" over the Palm Pre is a matter of opinion only. We all know too well you can't solely use "specs" as a standard to determine superiority if the OS is sluggish and unresponsive. Are you sure you don't have a friend or a coworker who has an iPhone? If they do, ask them if you can try it out and then make the decision for yourself. However, I have to warn you as I know how often I get "used to" certain devices and then have to migrate to different ones, how I miss features that the former had which the latter doesn't. I think going from the Palm Pre may frustrate you, but then again, that's all a matter of personal preference anyway.
Sir,
I like the way you think. I would say to the OP keep your Pre and the money you save (Sprint vs AT&Greed) in your pocket and be happy.:laugh2: Mark

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I can't say anything bad about the iPhone, but I'm happy I switched to the Pre. Still keeping my iPhone as well as I love it too, but currently the Pre offers more to meet MY needs than the iPhone does. That may not be the case for everyone, but I need a phone that will multitask well.

I get so frustrated trying to use Pandora only to lose it when I open up a text to reply or go to the web browser.

As for Sprint vs. AT&T I prefer Sprint and I know I'm probably in the minority here. I have 450 min/unlimited data/text/navigation for $69, $20 less than what the same (without navigation) cost me on AT&T.

Data speeds on Sprint consistently are higher for me and coverage seems more reliable so far. NO dropped calls in 9 days of having the Pre. I also have 3G (EVDO) in a lot of places where I see EDGE on the iPhone.

Either way you can't go wrong as they are probably the two best phones out right now, but unless you are just not happy with the Pre I wouldn't switch. You can try the iPhone out for 14 days however and get your money back (minus restocking fee)/out of your contract. I wouldn't port my number/cancel with sprint till you are sure that it is the right choice for you.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
I like this thread. Good cognitive objective thinking. I like the Pre a lot personally but I didn't buy one. I went and played with it at Sprint for a while but the iPhone gave me the droopy puppy dog eyes.. I had to stick with the ole fella..

jonsdad

Aug 28, 2008
porting the number after activation

Is it possible to port the number after the activation?

If I get a new iPhone through Apple, and try it for 14 days and I decide to keep it, can I then request to have my number ported?

TIA,

Jonsdad
I can't say anything bad about the iPhone, but I'm happy I switched to the Pre. Still keeping my iPhone as well as I love it too, but currently the Pre offers more to meet MY needs than the iPhone does. That may not be the case for everyone, but I need a phone that will multitask well.

I get so frustrated trying to use Pandora only to lose it when I open up a text to reply or go to the web browser.

As for Sprint vs. AT&T I prefer Sprint and I know I'm probably in the minority here. I have 450 min/unlimited data/text/navigation for $69, $20 less than what the same (without navigation) cost me on AT&T.

Data speeds on Sprint consistently are higher for me and coverage seems more reliable so far. NO dropped calls in 9 days of having the Pre. I also have 3G (EVDO) in a lot of places where I see EDGE on the iPhone.

Either way you can't go wrong as they are probably the two best phones out right now, but unless you are just not happy with the Pre I wouldn't switch. You can try the iPhone out for 14 days however and get your money back (minus restocking fee)/out of your contract. I wouldn't port my number/cancel with sprint till you are sure that it is the right choice for you.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Is it possible to port the number after the activation?

If I get a new iPhone through Apple, and try it for 14 days and I decide to keep it, can I then request to have my number ported?

TIA,

Jonsdad
yes, just make sure they know when you open your account that you want to make sure their coverage is as good in your home area and wherever you travel as your existing provider before you complete the port. I have done this many times. Just set up your account with a new phone number and you will have to call AT&T to have them port the number when you decide you are ready to have it ported.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Sir,
I like the way you think. I would say to the OP keep your Pre and the money you save (Sprint vs AT&Greed) in your pocket and be happy.:laugh2: Mark
Lets just hope the Op isn't like you Mark, and buys both! You know you will get a 3gs! ;)

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I've never been with sprint I've been a loyal AT&T customer for years even back when they were cingular. Anyways I've had plenty of phones and trust me when I say that. Nothing compares to the iPhone IMO.