Consistent 3194 error on my upgrade to iOS 5

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I've been getting 3194 errors since yesterday morning. Always at the same time during the upgrade (while verifying the software). I don't get any other error. I've done it a bunch of times including last night. I'm pretty darn sure that my issue isn't related to the server load.

I think I'm really failing the test: This device is not eligible for the requested build

I'm jailbroken at 4.3.3.

I've upgraded to 10.5, rebooted, run as admin, turned of virus/firewall, and run the iTunes connectivity test. Still no joy.

Anybody have any ideas?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Your host file set correctly to Apples servers? Worse case, can you unjailbreak then upgrade it ios5?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This problem is associated with methods that are used to restore to old firmware since Apple no longer allows that without stored SHSH files. The purpose of editing the hosts file and restoring to old firmware is for jailbreaking so I'll move the thread to that section.

Solution: The easiest way to fix this is to uncheck the box that says Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit in Tiny Umbrella. The alternate way is to open your hosts file and put a pound sign in front of Saurik's server address and then save it.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Thanks again. I had googled that stuff, but it didn't seem to make sense because I wasn't trying to go backwards (and never had). But I guess I had installed Tiny Umbrella just in case and that edited "hosts".

I case anyone else is stuck in the same place, I went to this directory in windows:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

And put a # in front of this line in "hosts":

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Once again, the folks on this board saved my bacon.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks again. I had googled that stuff, but it didn't seem to make sense because I wasn't trying to go backwards (and never had). But I guess I had installed Tiny Umbrella just in case and that edited "hosts".

I case anyone else is stuck in the same place, I went to this directory in windows:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

And put a # in front of this line in "hosts":

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Once again, the folks on this board saved my bacon.
Yep, that's probably what happened. Tiny Umbrella will change it back for you when you uncheck that box so I usually recommend that method because it's the easiest. The alternate method you used is a few more steps but it does the same thing. Glad to hear you got it resolved. :)